Discussion topic: Sky FTTP migration - why is this working?

This message was authored by Sph7 This message was authored by: Sph7

Sky FTTP migration - why is this working?

Hi. Migrated to Sky from Vodafone just before midnight. Here's the weird thing - I have changed nothing at all. Router is Draytek 2866 configured to use PPPoE only, nothing else. Creds are same as for Vodafone, I literally haven't touched a thing. Was waiting for the service to drop and was then going to configure for DHCP Option 61. Service didn't drop because it migrated and reconnected just before midnight, to Sky.....

Hostna*e:2e4****9.skybroadband.com

ASN:5607

ISP:SKY UK Limited

Now I haven't rebooted the router as yet.....

Best Answers
Sph7
Topic Author
This message was authored by Sph7 This message was authored by: Sph7 Answer

Re: Sky FTTP migration - why is this working?

Just to complete the thread I have now tweaked the Draytek to use DHCP and all is well.

Sph7_0-1715850722652.png

Sph7_1-1715850788638.png

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Sph7 this has been reported before it seems to be method of providing a connection for test purposes for engineers and drops after a short period.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Sph7
Topic Author

Ah OK thanks, so I should expect a router reboot to break it. I'll wait for my "customers" to be at school or work on Monday and then reboot and see what happens. I'll feedback results then.

Sph7
Topic Author

I powered down the router and ONT for 5 minutes this morning. I switched everything back on and the connection has come back up using PPPoE with old Vodafone creds. I'm a bit loathe to change anything, does anyone have any clue as to how long this will work for before it breaks? Any Sky or Openreach employees here who can explain this behaviour please?

@Sph7 are you in the Republic of Ireland? Sky use PPOE there.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Sph7
Topic Author

Hi, no I'm in the UK (Manchester). I've now rebooted the router multiple times as finally got around to enabling IPv6 on my LAN and WAN connections - this also works by the way, using PPP. I'm baffled at this pointCapture.JPG

Sph7
Topic Author

Connection details (with IPs obfuscated) for both IPv4 and v6

Capture2.JPGCapture3.JPG

@Sph7 Sky use two methods of authentication the first is DHCPv4 Option61 with a standard user/password string which clearly you router is not using. The other is DHCPv6 PD which does not require a string it is possible thst is how your connection is able to work. Around 75 to 80% of connections support this second method.

Sph7
Topic Author

Hmm, I've only just enabled router support of IPv6 though, on reboot this morning it was still strictly v4 only. You can see the v4 connection is using PPPoE in the scree snip attached above. You can see why I'm baffled hopefully 😊

Sph7
Topic Author

Just to backup my last statement DHCP is disabled and always has been (I always enable just what I need) Please see screen snip below:

Capture4.JPG

@Sph7 wrote:

You can see why I'm baffled hopefully 

@Sph7 you can add me to the list of the baffled. 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Sph7 

If I recall correctly someone else posted with a similar scenario and for them it lasted days to weeks before it suddenly just stopped working

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Sph7
Topic Author

OK thanks. I will wait and see, I'd rather it breaks so I can see the need to reconfigure and get it working again. It does beg the question as to why the Option 61 DHCP connection is needed at all.

@Sph7 as I explained there are two options the DHCPv4 Option 61 is the older system but the DHCPv6 PD method is newer but doesnt work on every line as the exchange gear doesn't support it. 

Sph7
Topic Author

Thanks, I will need to look into that to get IPv6 working as it's currently on PPP. Below I have shown what I think might be the right option, unsure of what's needed to configure it though?

ipv6.JPGipv6-2.JPG

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion