Discussion topic: Signed up to 1GB but getting less than 200mbs in most areas

This message was authored by Gillster15 This message was authored by: Gillster15

Signed up to 1GB but getting less than 200mbs in most areas

Hey folks, 

First time posting after thrawling through many many posts about this and cannot figure it out.

I have used Virgin internet for years on the 500mb plan, I get about 420mbs in the same room and then in the furthers point from the router about 220mbs

Now the issue is that I have the Sky 1GB internet now installed, I obvioulsy presumed I would see a great improvement but it disappointingly has not been the case.

In comparison, I get about 520mbs in the same room as the router and just below 200mbs in most other rooms. These are all on the 5G spilt line as the 2G is averaging half of these speeds

What is the next step? Is this expected with the Sky router? Do I need some sort of mesh system in place. Surely I should be getting more speeds even sitting beside it? Any help would be great 🙂 

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Signed up to 1GB but getting less than 200mbs in most areas

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Gillster15 

Increasing the speed of the connection to the router doesn't overcome the physical limitations of WiFi with regards to penetrating building fabric.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by blur This message was authored by: blur

I have the same issue with 1GB wifi max setup

I was promised speeds of over 400mb in rooms upstairs, my sons room at the back gets less than 1.5mb and drops all the time

I was told an engineer would come out and place boosters in dead spots, but this hasn't happened.  All I got was a text saying the issue is fixed??

With Virgin before and the wifi range was much stronger

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@blur if you buy Sky's WiFi Max bundle you can ask Sky for an extender if thst doesn't deliver 25Mb/s in every room call Sky again and they will send out an engineer who can authorise up to 2 more extenders. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@blur wrote:

I was told an engineer would come out and place boosters in dead spots, but this hasn't happened.  

Sky loans wireless booster hardware free under the terms of the 'WiFi Guarantee' element of 'Broadband Boost' and the 'Enhanced Wall to Wall WiFi Guarantee' part of the 'WiFi Max' subscription supplement: they don't otherwise provide or sell them except to resolve issues with Sky Q. Inevitably some have leaked onto a certain auction site, but Sky won't offer support with using these. 

Confusingly the 'Wall to Wall WiFi Guarantee' doesn't actually provide booster hardware, and is essentially a sales lead generator for the supplements mentioned above.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by mormegil This message was authored by: mormegil

Do you have the black or white sky router?

the package speed is that to the router and not the wireless output, the older black hub  used older WiFi technology so the max WiFi output is around half the connection speed of the gigafast package

the new white max  hub supports WiFi 6 so can output at the full speed as long as your devices are able and configured to do so

as mentioned earlier WiFi speeds will drop significantly as you move away from the hub 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion