Discussion topic: Setting up ASUS RT-AX88U

This message was authored by Cathydb This message was authored by: Cathydb

Setting up ASUS RT-AX88U

Hello all,

I'm a relative novice when it comes to tech so fair warning! I recently purchased an ASUS RT-AX88U, thinking i could run my Sky Hub in modem mode, however it turns out this isn't possible on Sky (Aware I should have checked pre-purchase!)

Am I right in saying that I will need to purchase a VDSL2 modem (I dont really want to fork out for a Draytech Vigor, are there any suitable budget options if this is required?) and then flash the router with Merlin? Running the ASUS from the hub isnt feasible as it will create NAT issues.

Kind regards

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Setting up ASUS RT-AX88U

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Cathydb there are no cheap dsl modems around as most people buy a combined modem router to connect to Sky Superfast. The only other one I know of is the old Openreach HG612 but these are getting quite old and good ones will cost not much less than the Draytek any being offered cheaply may have issues. As it happens recent posts indicate Asus now include the settings to connect to Sky's services in their latest firmware so you msy not need to go the Merlin firmware route if you dont want to.

It is worth trying the Double NAT setup, if you haven't already,. with the Sky hub as it works for most apps.  It only usually causes issues if you use a business VPN or game on shared servers.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Cathydb
Topic Author

Unfortunately, we have 4 people homeworking using varying VPNS and gaming! But I appreciate your response - In the end I found pretty much what you did, that VDSL2 modems dont come cheap so just bought the Draytech Vigor 130, better the devil you know etc

Cathydb
Topic Author

So the Vigor 130 has arrived, but im having an issue on the RTAX88u, im getting a 'Your ISPs DHCP does not function properly' error

I have set the Vigor to bridge mode and enabled option 61 (as well as following the steps detailed elsewhere) - any ideas what the problem is?

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Cathydb 

Can you screen shoot the set up page of asus router ?

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Cathydb 

Also does it have a query function set to "aggressive" if so change to "normal"

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

Cathydb
Topic Author

Hi, thanks for the reply

Ive reconnected my Sky Q hub for now as ive wasted enough time and patience for one day!

The Query mode Ive set to normal, as id read that creates issues.

The router itself was displaying as connected to the internet (4 white lights on router also), however Im not able to view any websites etc (DNS not responding error) - I feel like its somethign extremely obvious im missing

Screenshots:

Cathydb_0-1621773692454.png

Cathydb_1-1621773708783.png

Cathydb_2-1621773720817.png

@Cathydb 

The images will just need to be moderated before we see them

@Cathydb 

Where it says client identifier untick box for duid and see if it allows you to enter the field manually in the format

12 character asus mac address@skydsl|last 6 digits of the same mac

Eg

12345678abcd@skydsl|78abcd

Then delete mac address in isp requirement

This message was authored by MUFFINTAST1C This message was authored by: MUFFINTAST1C

If you send me a message I can help. I have experience with these routers. Also, did you install the Merlin firmware for this router model? If not do this first. 

Cathydb
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk I tried using abcdefgh@skydsl|1234567890abcdef earlier on the suggestion of another thread I had read, is this format incorrect?

@MUFFINTAST1C Thanks for your reply, I have indeed installed merlin 386.2_4

@Cathydb 

Asus are a stickler for protocol.

Try it the other way round 

Cathydb
Topic Author

I'll give this a go after work today - thank you 🙂

This message was authored by taylorrr This message was authored by: taylorrr

@Cathydb how did you get on with this? Did the the combination of Vigor 130 and RT-AX88U AX600 work for you? 

This message was authored by G-Funk This message was authored by: G-Funk

I appreciate this post is old but can confirm that this did work for me! And yes, the Option 61 format had to be 1234567890abcdef|abcdefgh@skydsl

@cookiemonsteruk - superstar

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion