Selective WiFi problems

Researcher
Post 1 of 19

Selective WiFi problems

Hi

I've been having trouble with me WiFi for a few months now. The original problem was the WiFi speed seemed to fluctuate a lot, sky where unable to help. I read that the news Q routers had a problem so bought an older router from eBay. The older router seems to provide a more stable WiFi, well according to the speed test app I have and the kids says it's working better. 

However the email apps on my phone still run slow and my wife has to switch to 4G to send emails. Certain apps seem to run slow, for example I use both sky news and BBC news apps but the BBC app doesn't load the pictures when I'm connected to my home WiFi. It works fine on 4G or other WiFi, similar problem with photos on eBay listings.

My sky app reports 40 Mps, my WiFi speed test app reports around 30 Mps regardless how close I am to the router. Anyone any ideas? I have in desperation to get fully working WiFi started the switch to another provider. I'm hoping that I can find the problem and cancel the switch.

All Replies
Oracle
Post 2 of 19

Re: Selective WiFi problems

@Gillsfan

Have you checked your Sky shield settings? The app data may be getting blocked by a filter.

Researcher
Post 3 of 19

Thank you for your help. I've checked and sky shield was already turned off. So seems it's not that.

Oracle
Post 4 of 19

@Gillsfan

Do the icons on BBC/eBay never appear or just very slow?

Researcher
Post 5 of 19

Hi

So the photos load eventually on eBay and on the BBC app if I select the news story the photo will load slowly. I also notice that Yahoo mail is very slow for me.

Oracle
Post 6 of 19

@Gillsfan

And just to confirm, when those photos are loading slowly, you can switch to the speed test app on your phone and get about 30mbps?

Researcher
Post 7 of 19

That's correct photos and Yahoo email app are slow on home WiFi even when speed test shows 30 ish. However photos and email are fine on 4g and other WiFi.

Oracle
Post 8 of 19

Does this happen for all devices in your home or just your wifes phone/tablet?

Researcher
Post 9 of 19

Both mine and my wife's phones. One if which is a samsung s9 and one a s8.

Oracle
Post 10 of 19

Is there another device you could test on thats either non-samsung or non-andriod? 

Camera Assistant
Post 11 of 19

@Gillsfan wrote:

Both mine and my wife's phones. One if which is a samsung s9 and one a s8.

I had been seeing a similar issue on several Android phones from different brands (one was an S8+) for about a year. The only thing these devices had in common was they were all running Android 8 Oreo. Last week my current phone updated to Android 9 Pie and the issue seems to have been fixed. This could be a coincedence because my Sky Q router received a software update on the 3rd of January but I have had a week without issue.

Researcher
Post 12 of 19

Hello

I've just installed BBC news apps on a really old vodafone first smart phone. It seems to work as it should, photos load as they should. This has me really confused why would I have trouble with my phone only on my home WiFi? 

Oracle
Post 13 of 19

@Gillsfan

That is a really weird one, it seems like it could be that Andriod Oreo issue that @stejo mentioned? 

Researcher
Post 14 of 19

So I checked and I'm on android 8 oreo the update on my s8 is due March. What is still confusing me is why do I only get the problem on my home WiFi?  Every other WiFi I try it works fine.

Oracle
Post 15 of 19

It is weird, if it were an Andriod Oreo thing you'd expect it to happen on all WiFi networks and not just your own.

If you plug your Q hub back in do you still get the same issues?

If so do you know anyone else with Sky broadband? Could you try it at their house?