Discussion topic: Second router

This message was authored by Alfieboon01 This message was authored by: Alfieboon01

Second router

Hi, I posted before about getting wifi in my out building.

After advice on here I went for a long cable to connect 2 routers,

They work fine independently but when the out building one is on and I'm using it the WiFi in the house is really poor and everything buffers.  When I do a speed check it shows both are fine and speeds are good.  I have no idea why the house buffers 

Best Answers
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

Re: Second router

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Alfieboon01 

You need something with a true 'Access point' mode. This should solve your issue

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Alfieboon01 

Having more than one router is almost never appropriate for a domestic network: it's viable only if one of the devices is set to an Access Point mode, so that it isn't doing DHCP, address translation and routing.  A better option is to use a dedicated wireless access point.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Alfieboon01
Topic Author
This message was authored by Alfieboon01 This message was authored by: Alfieboon01

So, how do I get a dedicated wireless access point?  I asked previously how do i get Internet in my garden bar?  And the concensus was, run a cable from the house? 

Alfieboon01
Topic Author

It was on here that advised me to go for the long ADSL  cable??  

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Alfieboon01 not sure why you were advised to use an "ADSL cable" ie one that connects to the phone socket.  The standard advice for connecting to an out building is to use an ethernet cable which connects to your Sky hub or primary router.. You definitely cannot connect two midem routers to a single line. 

The best solution is a simple exterior grade ethernet cable to your outbuilding connected to a wifi access point if you only have wifi devices. If you have devices with ethernet ports a simple ethernet switch would enable you to use both. Wifi access points start around £30 this model has the ethernetvswitch built-in for under £50.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Alfieboon01
Topic Author

Sorry, I did mean ethernet cable.  The new router in the outbuilding seems to take all the signal from the sky hub, so the house devices all buffer but the outbuilding devices are fine

@Alfieboon01 what make and model router do you have in the outbuilding?

As already pointed out you should not have multiple routers on a single network. Think of it as an orchestra having multiple conductors. Most routers can be switched to a mode called "access point" which switches off their routing abilities and they then just extend the main.network. 

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Alfieboon01
Topic Author

It's a Tenda, just a cheap one I picked up off Amazon, it supports bridging.

So I need to open the settings in the router to just make it an access point?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Alfieboon01 

If that make/model has such capability, yes, you'd need to go into its settings.

The problem won't be that the second router is 'taking all the signal': it will be that its default configuration is clashing with that of the first router.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

@Alfieboon01 

You need something with a true 'Access point' mode. This should solve your issue

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Alfieboon01
Topic Author

Sorted now, thanks 

This message was authored by Robjodie This message was authored by: Robjodie

So got sky glass yesterday and 3 sky glass pucks to replace sky q wish I'd not bothered everything was fine before and now I have no WiFi down my garden bar  like I did before! Spent the entire evening trying to figure out why it won't work when everything plugs in exactly the same 😩

@Robjodie Sky Glass TVs and pucks do not act as wifi hotspots. I made the same change as you but had to replace the wifi coverage the Q boxes gave with a third party wifi mesh system. I bought a set of 3 Deco M4 units working in Access Point mode with the Sky hub's wifi disabled. This set up  gives me decent wifi (400Mb/s give or take) through out my house which has 3 levels. 

Oddly Sky dont mention this in their sales splurge fortunately the penny had dropped with me. It is particularly annoying as the most frequent issues with Glass is people having data feed issues causing feezing etc.

@Robjodie wrote:

Spent the entire evening trying to figure out why it won't work when everything plugs in exactly the same 😩

Glass devices just don't contain the AirTies chipset which Sky specified in Q for mesh/bridge/hotspot functionality.  They haven't explained why this is (explanations are rare from Sky) but we can speculate that this makes the hardware cheaper to manufacture (particularly during a global silicon chip shortage) and easier to support.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion