Discussion topic: Scam Text or Real

This message was authored by Petedrongo This message was authored by: Petedrongo

Scam Text or Real

Had a text from +44 7537 402..595 asking me to confirm my engineer visit. Is it real?

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Scam Text or Real

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Petedrongo  Have you requested an engineer visit?  It would be helpful to provide this info.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@PetedrongoAre you having ultrafast broadband installed at your property or is this to do with Sky TV getting installed?

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Petedrongo 

Looking on a website like 'Who called me' suggests it's a scam but it'd be interesting to know if you are actually expecting a visit. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by EarlGrey10 This message was authored by: EarlGrey10

I have just received a message (allegedly from SKY on this number) about an engineer appointment. I already had one booked (via NOW/SKY) for the same day, but it has been confirmed by Openreach. Tried to confirm this one too as I thought it might be an appointment change from that alreay booked but got message saying 'not sent - number incorrectly formatted'. Looking at the number of comments where the same has happened to others, clearly either Openreach's or SKY/NOW 's customer database has been breached. This should be investigated, not just as a scam, but as a potential breach of GDPR.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@EarlGrey10 wrote:

Looking at the number of comments where the same has happened to others, clearly either Openreach's or SKY/NOW 's customer database has been breached. 

That's extremely unlikely: there are thousands of legitimate appointments each day, and every so often the spammers get lucky with a coincidence.

Logic might suggest that an actual data breach would be exploited for rather more lucrative purposes.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by EarlGrey10 This message was authored by: EarlGrey10

Whilst I agree that this would appear to be a low return scam, I suggest you look at the reports on https://who-called.co.uk/Number/07537402595. Given how few people actually report suspicious numbers, this looks like more than co-incidence to me. That this number has been reported over and over again for the last 8 years (and always associated with SKY/NOW) suggests to me that (a) someone is making money out of it and (b) it's about time SKY did something about it.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@EarlGrey10 

I'd think that makes loss of a data set even less likely to be involved: such things tend to be monetised rather rapidly over a short period of time before the information becomes devalued.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Kelsingra This message was authored by: Kelsingra

Posted by a Sky employee

Hey @EarlGrey10 

Sorry to hear about your scam text message. 

I would suggest you to read the following article on sky.com about the topic: 
https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-scams-help#smishing

If you scroll to the "Smishing texts" part, it explains multiple options how to report the number and the text message. I hope this helps 🙂

Fanni
Community Moderator

Thanks - now reported. Ta for the advice.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion