Routing Issue

Researcher
Post 1 of 15

Routing Issue

Hello everyone, this is my first post, so please be gentle.

I have recently switched from BT Infinity to Sky Fibre Max and as you would expect was provided with the standard Sky Hub. On the day of the transfer everything went really well and both Wifi and broadband are working fine.

HOWEVER my old BT hub had a USB port which had a 32gb stick plugged in, this acted as a "server" and had shared folders, which could be seen by any device which connected to the BT Hub. This had always worked fine. As you'll be aware the Sky Hub has only 2 ethernet ports, so I thought why not connect the BT Hub to the Sky Hub with short Cat 5 cable and I should be able to see the USB stick on my network. I have a CCTV sysytem with NVR and connected this to the BT Hub, This bit works fine BUT I cannot see the "server" anywhere. The Sky Hub gives the BT hub an IP address, but if I try to access this via MS Edge or IE, it cannot be found.

Am I expecting too much, or doing something wrong, I just want to get things back to where they were before the SKY Hub was installed.

Any suggestions please.

All Replies
Director of Photography
Post 2 of 15

Re: Routing Issue

Here's a suggestion, try giving the BT hub a static IP (you can keep it the same as the one which it has received from your hub), and for the devices you are trying to connect to the USB, manually configure DNS 2 with the static IP you have just given the BT hub.

Researcher
Post 3 of 15

Thanks dwg1.

There lies the problem, I cannot get to them BT Hub "admin" pages. The IP address assigned by Sky Hub returns "Cannot reach this page" if I try to access it via a browser.

Nigel

Director of Photography
Post 4 of 15

If the BT Hub isn't showing as connected to the Sky router's connected devices list, I think if it were me I would connect directly to the BT router, either by wifi or cabled. If you still can't access the BT Hub home page after this, it will probably be best to factory reset it, then try again. Manually configure the IP on the BT hub LAN (192.168.0.254 is as good as any) and make a note of it. Disable DHCP server on the BT Hub and then connect it to the Sky hub LAN to LAN (not the BT hub WAN port). The static IP of the BT Hub you made a note of earlier can now be entered into the devices DNS 2 configuration that you want to access the USB stick. Hope this helps  Smiley Happy

Oracle
Post 5 of 15

The BT hub wont be accessible because the BT hubs use a different LAN address to the Sky hub so it wont route across. Also its unlikely you'll get the USB stick connected to the BT hub to work through the Sky hub.

Director of Photography
Post 6 of 15

For curiosity purposes I tried connecting to a HomeHub USB I have access to. Basically it's just a network share. If you can access the Hub's interface you should be able to access the share...

Researcher
Post 7 of 15

Hi dwg1, 

I've tried your suggestion, basically unplugged ther BT Hub from everything and hard wired to laptop.  It takes time but eventually, you can see the BT Hub "web pages" and also the folder/files on the USB stick.  I've also turned off both BT Wireless channels. I've turned off DHCP server.

HOWEVER as soon as I connected the BT Hub to the Sky Hub it falls apart, I loose access to "192.168.1.254" (The BT hub) and the "mapped drive" to the USB stick can't connect. (the two seem to go hand in hand)

My head says this is  simple issue of routing, but i'm getting out of my depth. As you say in your last post it's just a "network share".

How can this be so hard??

Thanks for your help

Nigel

Director of Photography
Post 8 of 15

As @jamesn123 rightly pointed out, the default IP for the router in question is 192.168.1.254. Basically you need to change its IP to the same network segment as that of the Sky hub (192.168.0. the last part can be anything between 2 and 254 inclusive, but better going for the later figures 200+, or you may have IP conflicts later e.g. 192.168.0.254). This is because the Sky hub tends to allocate IPs through its DHCP server starting with the lower numbers 192.168.0.2 onwards. The IP can be changed on the hub in question by selecting advanced and home network and IP addresses. Once you have changed the IP of the hub in question you will need to connect to it on its new IP that you just configured it with (e.g. 192.168.0.254). Hope this helps  Smiley Happy

Researcher
Post 9 of 15

I thought that might be a solution, I can get into the BT Hub, change its IP address to 192.168.0.254 and this restarts the hub. From then on I cannot access the hub web pages - "Cannot reach this page". I have tried to access using old and new IPs but nothing doing.

The ONLY way to get back into the BT Hub is to factory reset - which returns IP address back to 192.168.1.254

Any suggestions welcomed

Nigel

Oracle
Post 10 of 15

@Nigel+Whittington

Thats because whatever device you are using to connect to the BT hub will have an IP assigned in the 192.168.1.xxx range and if you switch the BT hub to the 192.168.0.xxx range you'll need to also switch your device to use that range. This is of course assuming you have already switched DHCP off on the BT hub which you should do otherwise you will run into more issues.

Researcher
Post 11 of 15

Hello jamesn123, if the laptop I'm using to connect to the BT Hub (via cat 5) is ALSO connected to the SKY Hub via wifi, will this be causing an issue, bare in mind the range of the Sky hub is 192.168.0.xxx

I'll try again but without the laptop connected to Sky wifi.

Cheers

Nigel

Oracle
Post 12 of 15

Yes it will. You'll need to configure a static IP on your ethernet card in the 192.168.0.xxx range and disconnect from WiFi

Director of Photography
Post 13 of 15

@Nigel+Whittington wrote:

Hello jamesn123, if the laptop I'm using to connect to the BT Hub (via cat 5) is ALSO connected to the SKY Hub via wifi, will this be causing an issue, bare in mind the range of the Sky hub is 192.168.0.xxx

I'll try again but without the laptop connected to Sky wifi.

Cheers

Nigel

I can't help, but think we're making hard work of this... As per my previous post ."Manually configure the IP on the BT hub LAN (192.168.0.254 is as good as any) and make a note of it. Disable DHCP server on the BT Hub and then connect it to the Sky hub LAN to LAN (not the BT hub WAN port)". If you used a ethernet cable to connect to the BT hub to do this, just unplug it, and now try connecting to 192.168.0.254.. No need to disconnect the wifi adapter to the Sky network, unless it helps to uncomplicate things. Hope this helps  Smiley Happy

Researcher
Post 14 of 15

Thanks to dwg1 and jamesn123, I can now see the USB stick plugged into the BT Hub cross connected to the Sky Hub. And CCTV NVR connected to BT Hub works thru to Sky Hub.

I'm no expert, but it seems switching the BT Hub to 192.168.0.xxx and then trying to access from same laptop was causing IP issues. I kept checking what I was doing using command prompt and IPCONFIG. I used that to clear DNS cache, release and renew leases.  This seems to have had some possitive affect.

The ONLY diffence now (from what used to happen with just BT Hub) is that the mapped drive (network share) nows asks for my credentials before I can access. BUT I CAN LIVE with this.

Thanks again to both of you for your help.

Nigel

Highlighted
Director of Photography
Post 15 of 15

Don't know if this is any help to you Nigel...

Recommended Threads
13 minutes ago 10:50 PM
Oracle 2 hours ago 08:54 PM
6 hours ago 05:07 PM
AllEars 9 hours ago 01:48 PM
11 hours ago 11:58 AM