Really slow wifi connection

Runner
Post 1 of 15

Really slow wifi connection

Hi all, my wifi is incredibly slow. The actual speed we are getting is significantly lower than the package that we brought. I have reset the router multiple times and tried different wifi channels as well.

Here is the router statistic.

https://gyazo.com/7a4210ed5cb04d4107cae1aad959bbc0

Here is the result from speedtest.net

https://gyazo.com/d6451ad3d9a15649dfd6f17a0f05978f

After reading a few of the posts, I think the problem lies with the noise margin as it is not below 6, but im not entirely sure. Also, I can't seem to find a fix.

If anyone can offer any help, that will be greatly appreciated. 

All Replies
Oracle
Post 2 of 15

Re: Really slow wifi connection

No, nothing to do with the noise margin in your case. It's high to limit your connection speed to the maximum for Sky Fibre Unlimited. Your Fibre service is fine, as you are indeed connected at maximum speed.

WiFi problems can be difficult to solve bearing in mimd the increasing number of WiFi connected devices. Flats can be  a particular problem as there are usually lots of WiFi stations within close proximity making it difficult to avoid interference. 

Sky offer some help on WiFi problems here.

Runner
Post 3 of 15

Try living with 400kbps this WiFi is terrible never seen anything like it 

@Wai+Sum+Tam wrote:

Hi all, my wifi is incredibly slow. The actual speed we are getting is significantly lower than the package that we brought. I have reset the router multiple times and tried different wifi channels as well.

Here is the router statistic.

https://gyazo.com/7a4210ed5cb04d4107cae1aad959bbc0

Here is the result from speedtest.net

https://gyazo.com/d6451ad3d9a15649dfd6f17a0f05978f

After reading a few of the posts, I think the problem lies with the noise margin as it is not below 6, but im not entirely sure. Also, I can't seem to find a fix.

If anyone can offer any help, that will be greatly appreciated. 

Oracle
Post 4 of 15

@Gezza97 why not post details of your issue in a new thread with your hub’s stats if you want help?

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Runner
Post 5 of 15

16532499-EA8A-491D-B729-E9ABFDD49663.pngI have a PS4 and my family use a couple of devices and sometimes the WiFi even goes to 0.10kbps I can’t even download a game or nothing, ping goes to 400 it’s just terrible and it’s £60-£70 a month

Oracle
Post 6 of 15

@Gezza97 Very difficult to see what is going on from those stats as they don’t contain the attention or noise margin figures if you scroll to to the bottom of that page you will see a link show statistics.

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Runner
Post 7 of 15

EDAFE2E9-0131-4E52-B999-7AC8DEEAE3A0.png

Oracle
Post 8 of 15

@Gezza97 the principal reason for your low speed is that you're at the end of a long line to the exchange. You won't see good speed at that distance on standard broadband. That said, your stats show a raised noise margin of 11.5dB - Sky's normal target is 6dB - which is robbing you of around 1Mbps in your connection speed. Try Sky's automated line testing service here. You may be able to use it to book an engineer if it detects a fault. Fibre, if it's available on your line would better support your use of multiple devices.

Runner
Post 9 of 15

Hey Mark! here is my Info. please help me! im running 2 mbps when i should be running 11 and NO HELP WAS GIVEN WHEN WE CALLED so please help me.

Smiley Happy - UsmaSky Hub _ Statistics - Google Chrome 07_01_2019 16_04_46.png

Oracle
Post 10 of 15

Hi @SpiderXD, where did you get the 11Mbps from? I ask because, like the previous poster, you're on a long line to the exchange, and your current speed of 3Mbps looks about right for it.

Runner
Post 11 of 15

i see. but i have a filter and taltalk pays cheaper for 15 mbps and i dont mean to be that "guy" so do you have any resolve and i didnt mention this last time but im on ethernet.

Oracle
Post 12 of 15

@SpiderXD wrote:

i see. but i have a filter and taltalk pays cheaper for 15 mbps...

Not sure what you mean by that. However, with the  line attenuation of 64.5dB reported in your router stats, neither 15Mbps or even 11Mbps are possible.

It's just conceivable that your line attenuation is high because of a fault. What did Sky tell you to expect when you signed up? Or let us know what it says if you use the Address Checker here.

You could also see if Sky's online checker here finds anything amiss.

Runner
Post 13 of 15

Sky promised around 11 mbps and Talktalk did provide that amount, here:BT Broadband - Google Chrome 11_01_2019 19_57_39.png

Runner
Post 14 of 15

BTW, this is a old screenshot back with talktalk.

Oracle
Post 15 of 15

@SpiderXD wrote:

Sky promised around 11 mbps...

Did the line test I linked to in my last post show anything? And what were the results from the Address Checker?

What did Sky say when you spoke to them previously?