Discussion topic: REALLY poor service

This message was authored by Bad+Raven This message was authored by: Bad+Raven

REALLY poor service

I have a Sky installation which might be used only two days a week.

Its NEVER been good, but now after EVERY gap in use I have to power cycle the router to get from maybe 0.2Mb/s at best up to the lofty heights of around 4Mb/s.

On arrival yesterday evening, 56mS, 1.4Mb/s download, 30.4Mb/s upload (yes, that way around!)

After a power cycle (nothing else) 46mS, 3.9Mb/s download, 0.6Mb/s upload.

Its still like surfing thick mud though!

I have been a long time user, even before the Sky broadband system went LLU, yet I have never received anything for my loyalty, not even the smallest upgrade.

By comparison in another location where I can get Virgin cable, I have been regularly updated at no cost, hardware replaced/updated at no cost, and currently am on 100Mb/s (actually usually more, 101-105) with total reliability.

I'm long retired and money is tight, and I'm paying a large monthly fee to Sky AND a fee to BT for the line, all for very very little, so to the question, is there anything Sky can do to help?    As if not, I'm about to say goodbye.

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: REALLY poor service

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Bad+Raven you sound to be still on the old Sky Connect service if you are paying BT for your line rental. This service has never been good but was the only option on some small exchanges where Sky did not have a LLU connection. Sky tell us that thry are in the process of writing to the few remaining Connect customers explaing they are withdrawing the service and what options are available. 

You can check yourself by entering the full postal address for the property in this checker https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome which loads all of the services Openreach the network provider can offer on your line. ADSL is the service you currently buy. If there is an entry for FTTC then you can upgrade your current service but in the unlikely event full FTTP is available because the area has had fibre run past your property you can get speeds up to 900Mb/s. Ignore any entry for FTTP on demand as that requires you to pay to have fibre run to your property which can easily cost well into 5 figures.

If you post the results obscure your address details.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Bad+Raven
Topic Author

Thanks for your useful reply. Not sure I understand all the implications, but something to investigate

BadRaven_0-1658032996762.png

From this FTTP on demand is available, but not FTTP, nor any liklihood.

I can just about get by if, as sometimes I can get close to 5Mb/s, but that's not the case.

Worst is that every time there's a 24 hr gap in my use, the system drops to under 2MB/s and the only recovery is a power cycle.  I have tried all the conventional on site things like router to main incoming socket, etc. Its not that long ago I had BT check the incoming line. Nothing improves it.

I have had no contact with regard cessation of service I'm on.

Its not as if I'm a distance from a centre out in the sticks, I'm in a sizeable seaside town!

@Bad+Raven ok your cabinet is equipped with a fibre unit but the capcity is currently fully sold and orders are going onto a waiting list. If you could get that service you would get speeds around 70Mb/s or faster down. When and if Openreach will increase the capacity for FTTC is unknown but your current service is under the 10Mb/s Universal Service Obligation explained here https://www.bt.com/broadband/USO. Given the fact you are not on a standard Sky broadband product you msy find BT Retail can sort things for you faster than Sky.

You currently have an ADSL service which should offer speeds between 4 to 6Mb/s down at the hub. When measuring speeds on devices you have to factor in 10% network overheads plus any usage by other devices. Given wifi speeds in your property can vary it is not unusual to see variation. The only reliable speed test is one conducted with a single device networked byEthernetalternatively you can see the speed your Sky hub is receiving by looking at its connection stats see Find your Sky Broadband router statistics

Most Sky customers can use the test built into the MY Sky app but your line will probably not work due to the fact its not bought from Sky directly. 

Hope thst helps.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Bad+Raven
Topic Author

@Chrisee        Thanks for reply, been unable to get back here till now!

Whereas normally when I find low speed, a power cycle on the router gets back to around 5Mbs, today this has not worked.

The final test here listed was done with ONLY the Laptop connected and via Ethernet.  This laptop on Ethernet at another location runs consistantly at 120Mbs.

5/8/22 06.00

After Router Power Cycle:-

Ping

Download

Upload

66 ms

0.14 Mb/s

28.65 Mb/s

Note: This tester states my location as Lewes, more than 25 miles away!

After Router and Laptop Power Cycle (1 minute off time):-

Ping

Download

Upload

65 ms

0.22 Mb/s

0.43 Mb/s

Note: This tester still states my location as Lewes, though a different IP Address after power cycle as expected.

After shutting down so ONLY laptop connected (via Ethernet cable)

51 ms

0.45 Mb/s

29.07 Mb/s

I get closely enough the same results from three differing Speed Checkers.

Accessing the Sky Router Mtnce I get:-

Broadband Link

Downstream

Upstream

Connection Speed (Kbps)

Line Attenuation (dB)

Noise Margin (dB)

This suggests that the external rate is as per BTConnect level, 5.9Mbs?

As the laptop is OK (tested other location as above), and the above mtnce table suggests Line OK, and I have pruned off all other items on network, AND changed Ethernet cable and which router port its connected to on the router, I read this as a Router issue.  Especially as on some reboots I'm getting ridiculously high UPLOAD indication.

Resetting the router has made no improvement.

SO, a router change needed?? (Sky Hub)

@Bad+Raven not going to try and explain your different speed tests results because as indicated by the DSL Checker your Sky hub is connected as expected to an ADSL service delivering just under 6Mb/s down and 0.85Mb/s up. Those are synchronisation rates assuming a rough 8% for network overheads it means the fastest theoretical speed test result would be 5.5Mb/s down and 0.78Mb/s up. Results higher than that are superious. 

Changing your hub will make little or no difference to the rate the line can deliver it is simple a function of distance to the exchange. If you could buy the FTTC product (Sky Superfast) then the main factoris the line length to the street cabinet serving your property but that is not on sale currently.

Your options to get faster connection would seem limited to mobile broadband unless Virgin or some other network provider passes your property.

Bad+Raven
Topic Author

@Chrisee 

Thanks, but I'm not getting more than 0.4Mbs download being shown at the Laptop. If I was actually getting near 5Mbs usable I could get by.

Up to today rebooting the router and the laptop regained that close to 5 or over, though it might take a couple of reboots and EVERY time the system was left unused for more than a day it reverted to 0.2-0.4, which I don't understand.

How does a simple power cycle change it from under 0.5Mbs to the rated 5+Mbs? Cannot be hardware installation surely?

TODAY though the best I can actually see in browser is less than 0.5Mbs, as its been several days unused, but a router reboot(s) is not getting it back near 5Mbs, its rebooting around 0.4Mbs and the system is crawling near unusable.

Bad+Raven
Topic Author

Just been out for over two hours, left laptop on.

As I left download speed at laptop via browser was 0.44Mbs, crawling, with horrendously slow screen update.

Returned to find I now have over 5Mbs at the laptop. Performing adequately and to spec.

This with four other devices back on Wireless, laptop still on Ethernet.  Have done NOTHING. 

I just do not understand how its this unreliable/variable.  😧

This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@Chrisee wrote:

@Bad+Raven ok your cabinet is equipped with a fibre unit but the capcity is currently fully sold and orders are going onto a waiting list. If you could get that service you would get speeds around 70Mb/s or faster down. When and if Openreach will increase the capacity for FTTC is unknown but your current service is under the 10Mb/s Universal Service Obligation explained here https://www.bt.com/broadband/USO. Given the fact you are not on a standard Sky broadband product you msy find BT Retail can sort things for you faster than Sky.

The only way to get a 10 Mbps service under USO would be to switch to BT for broadband because BT and KCOM (for those living in Hull) are the only ISPs that signed up to it.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion