Q router Chromebook wifi issues

Boom Operator
Post 1 of 19

Q router Chromebook wifi issues

Hi all,

I'm having wifi issues with the new Sky Q router and my Chromebook, it's an Asus C302C.

The issue is worse at distance, though still happens even when I'm sat next to the router.

I switch on the Chromebook and the wifi will search, connect and then disconnect, connect and then disconnect, do this a few times before it connects.

But occasionally it will disconnect for no reason at all and then reconnect.

It never used to happen with the old Sky hub, so it's quite plainly the new router.

It's got that bad that I've even started to research third pary routers, but from what I understand you can't use one with Sky fibre sadly.

All Replies
Camera Assistant
Post 2 of 19

Re: Q router Chromebook wifi issues

@JulieBB 

I've seen this behaviour before on devices and it turned out to be the WiFi channel at fault. Have you tried changing the WiFi channel on the router?

Boom Operator
Post 3 of 19

I have, it's the first thing I tried Smiley Tongue

Camera Assistant
Post 4 of 19

Do you see this behaviour on just the chromebook or other devices too?

Boom Operator
Post 5 of 19

It also happens occasionally on my phone, a OnePlus 3.

And I think on a Google Home Mini we have in the bedroom, though that could be the device rather than the network as it will say "something's gone wrong, try again in a few seconds"

Camera Assistant
Post 6 of 19

Hmm strange. Are there any devices that are performing as expected? 

Boom Operator
Post 7 of 19

The majority of them usually do, no problem.

Though I have just had 5 minutes of a loading screen on my windows laptop while it said I had to Internet connection...

I'm starting to think it may be a faulty router.

Production Supervisor
Post 8 of 19

I had a Windows 10 laptop playing up with similar symptoms and I don't have any wifi issues here. To solve the slow connection over wifi (normally straight after powering on/coming out of stand-by) I had to move to manual IP configuration and change some wifi adapter options on the laptop (from memory mostly, but not restricted to power saving). If this laptop also plays up in the same manner when connected by ethernet cable other considerations could be malware, viruses etc. Hope this helps  Smiley Happy

Boom Operator
Post 9 of 19

I have so much stuff connected via wifi (smart lights and sensors) it would be a nightmare to manuall assign them all IPs.

And it's a Chromebook, they don't get viruses Smiley Wink

Production Supervisor
Post 10 of 19

Sorry if my earlier post wasn't clear, I was referring purely to a Windows 10 laptop only... Besides splitting the 2.4 and 5G bands with separate wifi network names and experimenting with changing wifi channels I think you may have to find a third party solution (I think all of this has been previously suggested by others). Hope this helps  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Boom Operator
Post 11 of 19

I didn't think youc could use a third party router with Sky fibre?

I'd been toying with a Google Wi-Fi setup

Production Supervisor
Post 12 of 19

Sorry I was thinking more along the lines of powerline adapters with built- in wifi access points... Others have also reported having success with the more expensive Google wifi etc. too  Smiley Happy

Camera Assistant
Post 13 of 19

@JulieBB wrote:

I didn't think youc could use a third party router with Sky fibre?

I'd been toying with a Google Wi-Fi setup

You can use a third party router but not directly connected to your line, most people keep the Sky router for the line connection and turn all WiFi off on it and then connect their 3rd party router to the Sky router and use the WiFi on that for improved functionality and performance over the Sky router

Boom Operator
Post 14 of 19

I've read some of those posts, the set up seems a bit confusing.

On the Q router I have a Philips Hue bridge and a NAS box as the wired connections.

I know the Google wifi has 2 ethernet ports too, so how would it work with the setup for me?

I'm not super technical, I just like to be able to plug and play.

Camera Assistant
Post 15 of 19

@JulieBB

You could buy a simple ethernet switch that would give you an extra 4 ports Smiley Happy

I've linked one from Amazon below as an example, you simply plug a cable from either your Sky router or your Google WiFi router to one of the ports on the switch and then you have 3 other ports to connect your devices

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-SG1005D-5-Ports-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00ZOOJXEG/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?i...

Recommended Threads
14-07-2018 09:16 PM
Oracle 01-05-2018 08:25 PM
Oracle 23-05-2018 05:01 PM
Oracle 25-04-2018 12:19 AM
Oracle a week ago 07:08 PM