Discussion topic: Purchased new router, looking for Sky compatible modem

This message was authored by Taklop This message was authored by: Taklop

Purchased new router, looking for Sky compatible modem

I just purchased the Asus GT-AX6000 router.

Currently I have the sky router/modem set with WiFi disabled, and plugged into an older netgear router's WAN port.

I would like to replace the Sky hub with something that is just a modem, so I don't have "two layers" of router. This modem would then plug into my new Asus GT-AX6000.

Are there any Modems that are confirmed as compatible with Sky? (Or potentially modem router combos that could have modem mode / bridge mode, which I understand the Sky hub doesn't support?)

I am currently using the fastest available for this property, which is unfortunately only "Sky Broadband Superfast", with guaranteed minimum down of 32Mb/s. (So it's not using any fancy stuff, just a regular openreach phone socket)

Any tips / suggestions super appreciated! 🙏

Best Answers
Taklop
Topic Author
This message was authored by Taklop This message was authored by: Taklop Answer

Re: Purchased new router, looking for Sky compatible modem

I have it working!

Here are the steps for others who may be struggling to set the TD-W9970 into bridge mode:

Select Quick Setup and select your region and timezone.
When prompted to enter ISP details, select OTHER (Regardless of if you are with sky or not)
In "Internet Connection Type" Select Bridge.
Tick the Vlan ID box, and set VLAN ID to 101
Finally, go to Advanced, and disable the dhcp checkbox under the LAN settings.

Then set your router settings to Automatic IP for connection type (Not static or the other options)
Find some setting that is a MER setting, or something that mentions Option 61, and type anything@skydsl|anything (swap the anything for whatever word you want)
Set the "WAN MTU to 1500, and if there is a DHCP query frequency option, set it to normal mode.

The above worked for me, thanks to @cookiemonsteruk and @jamesn123 for helping out!

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Taklop 

If you are still on superfast fttc then a tp link td w9970 can be put into modem mode

Instructions for setting up tp link td w9970 as modem bridge

select sky vdsl from isp list

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1332/

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
Taklop
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk 

Looks good!

If in the years I am living in this property, openreach manages to upgrade the connections in this area, would this router / modem not work?

I only ask as you say

If you are still on superfast fttc

Which makes me think that if I got upgraded at a later date it may not work? (If I could buy one that is more "future proof" I may be tempted to do that)

The product page suggests the max ethernet speed for the TD-W9970 is 100Mbps, so if I got a faster connection, I'd be capped? Or have a made the classic Mbps MB/s mistake, I always get them mixed up 🤣

In my googling it seems that there are very few "pure" modems. Mostly I've seen pricy ones from DrayTek. 😢

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Taklop 

Can you post your hub stats

https://community.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/m-p/2855717#M1014...

If you upgrade from fttc to fttp then the vdsl modem is obsolete. This will be the fibre optic modem (ont)

nokia_ONT_fttp_openreach.jpg

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

Taklop
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk 
Ah gotcha, so as you can't get faster than 100Mbps with FTTC anyways, when you have FTTP it's not like you can smush the fibre into a phone socket! 😆

Makes sense. Looks like I'll grab that little TP-Link TD-W9970 then

Current stats:

Taklop_0-1651066342858.png

I just moved here from a place where I had BT FTTP with ~900Mbps, so it's taking some time to get used to it 🤣

@Taklop 

That is to say £35 for a modem bridge makes it the cheapest throw away modem you can get

@Taklop 

Looking the stats you could be faster and there is at least 1 possible line drop

Can you run tests on your my sky app and post the info in more about your connection to see your guarantee

Taklop
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk 
I just bought the little TP-Link, so will see if that helps with anything tomorrow evening when I set it up with the new router. For tonight / tomorrow will use the new router with the Sky hub.

Ran the tests and they seem to say all is well:

Taklop_0-1651071596511.png

Taklop_1-1651071604375.png

Taklop_2-1651071617617.png

@Taklop 

Looking ok. 1 dropout in 13 hours and speed above minimum.

Get back to use when tp arrives and we'll talk you thru turning the asus set up

This message was authored by Shola+AO This message was authored by: Shola+AO

Is there some I can buy as altervative to sky hub / router. as the Broadband has been active for almost a week but sky is hesitant to give me another hub 

@Shola+AO 

What is your budget?

What are your requirements , gaming, streaming etc

What speeds are you getting at the minute?

Are you superfast fttc or ultrafast fttp?

I don't play games just work from home.  Currently using neighbours's wifi.  I have seen that I can get on Amazon

@Shola+AO 

Are you on full fibre to the premises or fibre to the cabinet.

Could you post your hub stats as shown below to see if you need a modem router or just a router

https://community.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/m-p/2855717#M1014...

I have not purchased a new router.  As Sky is refusing to give me one. I  want to buy 1 for the sky Q TV.

Might have to get it from Amazon

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Hi @Shola+AO 

Little confused by your posts. If you have a contract with Sky then they are obligated to give you a router. Did you get a router when you first took out the package? Is it your contract or someone elses?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion