Discussion topic: Online gaming lag

Suzie10
Topic Author
This message was authored by Suzie10 This message was authored by: Suzie10

Re: Online gaming lag

@mae-3 

Yeah I've seen that my speed is rather low for my stats. Highest it's ever been on the download is about 70800-ish. However, it's always been this way since I went from the old 40/10 to the 80/20 package and this game used to play fine online. I had no issues with it. This particular issue started sometime ago and has never gone away. 

The latency to the game servers seems to be fine. It's low (between 7-20ms ping usually), stays stable and rarely drops packets. Yet still, the game runs like there is a problem with my connection. 

@jamesn123 

Coverage seems to be OK in my area. However,. this game doesn't work well on Wi-Fi and mobile connections. Testing mobile will likely lead to poor performance in-game as well. An Ethernet connection is mandatory for this game. If you don't use Ethernet, the game performs far worse leading to freeze-and-catch-up lag or disconnections from the server. 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Suzie10 wrote:

Coverage seems to be OK in my area. However,. this game doesn't work well on Wi-Fi and mobile connections. Testing mobile will likely lead to poor performance in-game as well. An Ethernet connection is mandatory for this game. If you don't use Ethernet, the game performs far worse leading to freeze-and-catch-up lag or disconnections from the server. 

Just as a test it may be worth playing 1 game using mobile data to see if the game 'feels' any different to using your Sky connection. It may help figure out if the problem is more related to your broadband connection or kit. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Suzie10
Topic Author

Just updating that this is still an issue and the lag does feel like it's getting worse. Something tells me it isn't a game problem. I can't help but think there is a problem somewhere with my connection that's causing the game to run sluggish. It isn't making much sense because the ping seems to be fine (it's low and stable) and packets don't seem to be getting lost, yet the game plays like something is wrong.

Would it be worth exploring taking off the MK4 faceplate and testing what it's like connected to the test socket? Is it possible an issue with the faceplate could be causing problems? It's something I haven't yet tried. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Suzie10 a lot of fault finding is down to making a series of changes until the fault is sorted so while it may not help it is worth checking the test port which bypasses any internal phone wiring. However given your.fault is rsstructed to one game logically it shouldn't. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Suzie10
Topic Author

Well, I'm not sure if it's just this specific game. I only know about this game's performance since it's the only game I currently play online. 

Other players do complain about experiencing similar lag on this game. However, the main difference is it does actually go away. They get a mixture of good and bad games whereas mine are always bad no matter what time of day I play. As it's been happening for well over a year now, it makes me question whether it's being caused by some strange fault on my connection.

I'm currently connected to the test socket and as expected no changes. Game still runs sluggish and heavy. 

Suzie10
Topic Author

I have noticed that when performing a quiet line test, I can hear some really low noise. It's a bit difficult to describe. It's like a rythmic buzz/ticking noise that does take some effort to hear. You can't hear it with just the dial tone as the tone drowns it out (because it's so low).

I thought it might've been the faceplate doing it, which is one of the reasons I decided to remove it. It's still doing it via the test socket, so that rules out the faceplate. 

I am going to try getting a new phone just to see if maybe it's the phone itself as it is quite old. If the noise remains after replacing the phone, I am guessing this would be something to report as a fault since the line should be completely quiet?  Wondering if this could potentially be why the game is lagging all the time?

Suzie10
Topic Author

Here's another graph from the thinkbroadband quality monitoring test 

I was playing today between the hours of around 3-7am. Does the test reveal anything that might be causing the game to feel sluggish?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion