Discussion topic: No micro filter

This message was authored by harrynb This message was authored by: harrynb

No micro filter

Hi, I've been activated since the end of April, but the quality of service seem,s poos in comparison to what I had with BT before.

Could this be because I don't have a filter?  There wasn't one in the box for set-up, and my master socket does not have one built-in. I don't use Voice, just purely broadband. Should I there fore need one?

Thoughts please?  Thank you

Best Answers
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3 Answer

Re: No micro filter

@harrynb 

If you are not using a phone on the line then no need.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@harrynb 

Sky no longer bundles microfilters because there are many millions around already: about £2 on eBay if you wanted to try one (I think even charity shops stopped having baskets full of the things ; )

If you are mainly using WiFi devices, it's wireless that's the most likely cause of a less good experience after moving from BT to Sky

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
harrynb
Topic Author

Thank you for this.

Nearly everything is cable connected: and my Prime whirly-gigs quite regularly, which I've never had before.  Do you think the filter will help with this?

harrynb
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood 

Actually the wifi element was poor, so I use my BT Home Hub as the wifi client - cabled to the router. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@harrynb 

If you post your Hub stats, we'll have some information about your particular phone line and internet connection to work with.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
harrynb
Topic Author

Thank you..

harrynb_0-1687255138721.png

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@harrynb 

The router stats show an excellent line at a maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps for the VDSL2 FTTC service subscribed to with a spare noise margin, and it shows you are pretty close to the cabinet within 100 metres. Any issues you experience are likely owing to wireless interference or ethernet cable issue.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
harrynb
Topic Author

@mae-3 

Oh, right....thank you very much for this.  Very kind

Would you still recommend putting a filter on the line, or not bother?

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3 Answer

@harrynb 

If you are not using a phone on the line then no need.

-------

harrynb
Topic Author

Great. Thank you very much for your time.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion