Discussion topic: New to Sky, still waiting for Broadband installation but been charged for TV from start of month.

This message was authored by DrIf This message was authored by: DrIf

New to Sky, still waiting for Broadband installation but been charged for TV from start of month.

I've not as yet used the sky box as it came with instructions not to plug it into the TV until the sky engineer has visited. That won't happen for another ten days. So I don't understand how I can be billed for TV from the start of July. The service of Sky TV and broadband was booked at the end of June. I was previously with BT and watch TV via BT box for now.

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: New to Sky, still waiting for Broadband installation but been charged for TV from start of month

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DrIf wrote:
I've not as yet used the sky box as it came with instructions not to plug it into the TV until the sky engineer has visited. 

A Stream puck can be used for viewing subscription television content over broadband from any ISP.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/setting-up-sky-stream 

You may be confusing this with the Sky Hub (broadband router) : that would have an instruction to wait for the Sky broadband activation date before plugging it in (to a phone socket or ONT, not a television)

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Re: New to Sky, still waiting for Broadband installation but been charged for TV from start of month

@DrIf  How is your Sky TV service to be connected? Is it via Sky Q or Sky Glass or Sky stream?

Do you already have broadband with another provider?

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
DrIf
Topic Author

Hi @Highlinder this is from the email after I placed my order. 

Sky Stream puck
Sky Ultimate TV - Sky Entertainment with Netflix
Sky Sports - Complete Pack
Sky Cinema
Netflix Standard with Ads

Sky Broadband and Talk

Sky Broadband Ultrafast 1
Sky Pay As You Talk
Sky Line Rental
This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@DrIf  Do you already have internet from another provider and your Sky stream is a self install.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@DrIf wrote:
I've not as yet used the sky box as it came with instructions not to plug it into the TV until the sky engineer has visited. 

A Stream puck can be used for viewing subscription television content over broadband from any ISP.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/setting-up-sky-stream 

You may be confusing this with the Sky Hub (broadband router) : that would have an instruction to wait for the Sky broadband activation date before plugging it in (to a phone socket or ONT, not a television)

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@DrIf 

If the Sky box has an HDMI port and a single ethernet socket then it's for television.

If it has four ethernet ports, phone sockets and no HDMI then it's a broadband router.

DrIf
Topic Author

Rather upsetting that all this came with zero instructions on how to use and I have had a service I could have used and am bring billed for. Pretty poor first experience ......it's going to take a month to get the broadband from order date. Yet I get a TV box and the less than perfect broadband from the old provider is supposed to suffice? 

Plugged in and can't really see a good picture so back to old BT box and fingers crossed next week new broadband sorts it.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@DrIf wrote:

.....it's going to take a month to get the broadband from order date. Yet I get a TV box and the less than perfect broadband from the old provider is supposed to suffice? 

That's correct: a Stream television puck can be shipped next day from warehouse stock, but Openreach has a minimum ten working day lead time to carry out a broadband switch (often longer during holiday season or for FTTP provisioning)

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion