Discussion topic: New Sky router means a new 18m contract?

This message was authored by nundi This message was authored by: nundi

New Sky router means a new 18m contract?

Ive been having serious problems with the speed and  connection of my Sky broadband, both wired and wifi, for months now, and just unplugging the rounter has little effect. The only thing that brings a limited solution is holding the reset button on the back of the router. This is a real pain as it entails reconnecting the 4 Sky Q mini boxes i have throughout the house.

So this morning i finally got someone at Sky to diagnose the problem, my router is 5 year old and out of date and needs replacing.

Fine i said, but then im told that this would require me to enter in to a new 18 month BB contract, is this correct?

Im stunned that getting a Sky owned faulty item replaced will force me into another 18m contract.

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: New Sky router means a new 18m contract?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@nundi wrote:

So this morning i finally got someone at Sky to diagnose the problem, my router is 5 year old and out of date and needs replacing.

If that's a Q Hub, it's still very much in-support.  Call-centre people have been known to be somewhat over-eager in their pursuit of upselling/minimum-term renewal.

Three Sky Hubs.png

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
nundi
Topic Author
This message was authored by nundi This message was authored by: nundi

Yes it is Sky Q hub, so they should replace without the contract being extended?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@nundi 

Well, it's not 'out of date' (as it's still receiving software updates, and is being supplied to some new subscribers) although the Sky Broadband Hub is a more recent and somewhat 'better' hardware specification.  Whether it 'needs replacing' because of a fault I've no idea: router faults are much less common than people thing, but not unknown.  I guess you get to argue with them: personally I've never bought the line that hardware support requires the user to be within a minimum contract period, because in my opinion if a service is being paid for then it should be supported.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion