Discussion topic: NOW Broadband FTTC (powered by Sky)

This message was authored by RedWall58 This message was authored by: RedWall58

NOW Broadband FTTC (powered by Sky)

Tplink and Now customer services have redirected me here:

Trying to setup my VX1880v to replace the Now BB 2 hub (repurposed sky q hub).

I have attempted the usual methods of MER_VDSL quick setup and PPPoE manual config (as advised by TP tech). I thought Sky/Now don't use PPPoE but ok I gave it a bash.

Unfortunately, the dreaded red light is on the modem/router and it won't authenticate.

Please can someone help before I yeet it in a rage 🫣😂👍

Best Answers
RedWall58
Topic Author
This message was authored by RedWall58 This message was authored by: RedWall58 Answer

Re: NOW Broadband FTTC (powered by Sky)

***SOLUTION***

When connecting the Archer VX1800v to Sky Broadband (UK) or NowTV MER line and configuring it through the web interface, the "Sky(MER)_VDSL" option is missing from the Quick Setup ISP list. If you select "Other" and configure it, it does not work.

When configuring it through the Tether App, the "Sky(MER)_VDSL" option is available, but there is no option to add a username and password, resulting in no connection.

RedWall58_0-1711792755396.png

RedWall58_1-1711792755033.png

RedWall58_2-1711792755028.png

Workaround:

If you are experiencing the same issue, please try installing the beta firmware below for the Archer VX1800v.

You can download the firmware from the following link: Archer VX1800v_V1_240326

Note: Please be sure you have read the Terms and Conditions for TP-Link Beta Firmware before proceeding.

After installing the firmware, please configure the router using the web interface. Select the ISP "Sky (MER)_VDSL" option and proceed with the setup.

Please note that the current beta firmware does not support Sky MER configuration through the Tether App.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@RedWall58 

Now & Sky UK use DHCP Option 61 for authentication not pppoe. A lot of TP-Link routers do not provide this connection method in their firmware. If yours does not have it you'll have to rely on a connection via IPv6 PD but not all lines have the capability to connect via this method. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@RedWall58 Also a quick search does not even find that model, are you sure your description of the TP-Link is correct

RedWall58
Topic Author

<top> sorry my fat fingers

RedWall58
Topic Author

VX1800v apologies 

RedWall58
Topic Author

Probably should have mentioned I have FTTC and an openreach splitter fascia inside the property.

RedWall58
Topic Author

Yes mate, it's my thread 😁 - I've tried a few different ways. Personally I think it may be a firmware issue that won't allow authentication. I have contacted tplink for support. Live chat kept advising PPPoE but I know sky doesn't support this.

@RedWall58 If you have upgraded the FW to latest, you will now need to supply screen captures of your system will certainly take a look at them to see if anything odd.

Please let us know were and what you have done. Your on the wrong site but will try to help.

Jim

RedWall58
Topic Author

At the moment no new firmware is available because its quite a new device. 
Now BB customer service page redirected me here lol. They said that their agents wouldn't be able to assist. Crazy I know... thankyou buddy 👍

@RedWall58 The forum is a customer to customer web site, and here to help users and fellow users like yourself, It is a well know fact that neither Sky or sister company Now will support anything but there own equipment as you are by now fully aware, it is completly logical and why its important that they do that.

You are in no way talking to anyone from sky, we are all customers like yourself.

As i said in previous post, if you wish to post your current screen captures off everything that you have done to date we will try to help and assist you to resolve IF possible. YOU know more of what is going on regarding everything, and anything you give can be helpfull even just your last post, we have customers who try to use Tp-Link also, i personally think and use their gear it pretty good equipment, and could easilly just say to you buy Asus it works great, and i can conform 100% for both cases. NOT everything works perfect and no real out of the box solution except use NOW Router.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@RedWall58 TP-Link's combined modem routers used to have a preset programmed for Sky's MER VDSL services which included the requirement for DHCPv4 Option61 which had the log on string predefined which I think may need editing see this llink to the Now community where changing the log on string worked on a different TP-Link model

The confusion lies around the fact that support for DHCPv4  is not carried through to TP-Link's non-modem router models used for full fibre services.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
RedWall58
Topic Author

Thankyou, I have tried this.. however on my device, when I select the Sky_MER option. (Only shows up with app quick setup). 

There is no option to enter these details. Unless I modify the dynamic ip to PPPoE in advanced settings.

so I'm a bit stuck at the moment, was hoping someone with a better tech knowledge base could point me in the right direction.

thanks for your help

RedWall58
Topic Author

@JimM1 you can find the screen shots at the link above. Thankyou

@RedWall58 ? on chrisee link yes, the quick setup via the app would be correct, you need to forget about pppoe it is not used in the uk for sky connection.....

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion