Discussion topic: My Broadband has been down for almost a week

This message was authored by Kagu This message was authored by: Kagu

My Broadband has been down for almost a week

Hello -  I live near Kingswinford, Westmidlands, UK, and I am currently full-time WFH within a new role. According to Sky themselves, they have "logged" an issue on 1am Monday. It is now currently Thursday, forcing me to use a lot of data with my mobile hotspot, and even this also isn't without challenges such as really bad connection sometimes. 

I understand that things happen and domestic broadband isn't promised to have a 100% uptime, but I feel like almost a week without internet is quite a while, with absolutely no answers, and to top it off - I'm not even unequvically certain that Sky know about the issue, since every avenue on the phone brings me to an automated voice. (I am a Software Engineer by trade so have probably an unhealthy distrust of the backend(y) stuff such as this image below).

Kagu_0-1705570722547.png

Mostly I wanted to post a thread here to get some visibility to maybe ensure Sky is aware of the problem and can resolve this soon.

Thank you for anyone who replies, I appreciate your time.

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: My Broadband has been down for almost a week

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Kagu 

If its a local outage 4 days is quite normal to be down as it can take Openreach a while to re-build infrastructure if something serious has happened like a pole or cabinet being destroyed.

I would however, as you said, make sure Sky certainly know about it. I can escalate your post to chat on the forum if you wish, you may get more answers on there than calling. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Kagu 

Working from home has no relevance to repair times I'm afraid as Sky Broadband is a what can probably be described as a cheaper end domestic service. It is wise for you to make sure Sky are aware of your particular situation for auto compensation purposes. 

The below link explains the Ofcom agreed auto compensation scheme which Sky operates for when there is a TOTAL loss of Sky Broadband or Sky Talk.
https://www.sky.com/help/articles/auto-compensation

If you have a total loss of service and it isn’t fixed after two full WORKING days from when you first report the fault to Sky, you will become eligible for it. It’s applied 30 days after the fault has been repaired and will come in the form of a credit appearing on your Sky account.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
Kagu
Topic Author

That makes me feel a lot better that it isn't a complete anomaly. I think the estimated 2 day fix made me a little bit worried when it's now approaching 5, but as you said if it's tangible infrastructure damage then naturally it will take a bit longer. 

I'd be very much appreciative if you could escalate this post (I don't expect much to happen, but any information or just a "paper" trail would be helpful for me).

Thank you for taking the time to reply, hope you're having a good day.

@Kagu 

I've escalated your post, look out for a message on the forum

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Kagu
Topic Author

@Daniel0210 

-

Yeah I expected that to be the case, I'm honestly not too sure what I hoped to achieve with this post, it was mostly just for visibility. I will ensure I let Sky aware of the issue for this compensation scheme in the meantime. 

Thank you for your time to help me, have a good day.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Kagu wrote:

I think the estimated 2 day fix made me a little bit worried when it's now approaching 5, but as you said if it's tangible infrastructure damage then naturally it will take a bit longer. 

I'd observe that two working days is the national Openreach target, rather than an 'estimate' in any particular incident.

The online message is (potentially unhelpful) boilerplate text rather than specific to that outage.  On rare occassions such as complete exchange failure it will be followed by finer-grain information provided by Openreach to their ISP clients.

Openreach tells Ofcom they meet their target for about 85% of faults, so by definition 15% of the time 'a couple of days' won't be correct.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks for escalating this. We’ve sent @Kagu   an invite to chat.

Thanks @jamesn123 for the shout

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert

Hi @Lisa-P1987 

You have escalated it to me instead of @Kagu 😊

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Kagu
Topic Author

I'm really sorry, but I don't think the bubble has appeared on my side? I've looked at the instructions carefully and the official screenshot. This is my comparison:

Kagu_0-1705585545433.png

[My dashboard]

Kagu_1-1705585597788.png

[Bottom of my dashboard (For good measure)]

And then the official picture with what I presume is the bubble,

Kagu_2-1705585673809.png

I've looked at all other webpages too and still have a bit of difficulty finding it, so I think maybe a request went bad somewhere along the way? Any help would be appreciated.

@jamesn123 @Lisa-P1987 

@Kagu 

Have you had the PM from Lisa?
If so try clearing your cache & cookies and ensure you are not running any Ad block etc.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Kagu
Topic Author

In the end it was Brave trying to be too smart for it's own good! Thank you for your suggestions and help everyone, it was really kind of you all. 

I've just got into contact with an Advisor, so I think they'll be able to take it from here!

This message was authored by Dawn201 This message was authored by: Dawn201

Our sky Internet and house phone connection has been intermittent  since Christmas week. I have done all the checks on the liberty, unplugging router etc keeps crashing.still no house phone. Can't dual out.

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@Dawn201 Can you please run the broadband test, this can be done either via the Sky app on mobile data or use the link below.
https://www.sky.com/help/diagnostics/sky-broadband-diagnostic/sky-broadband-diagnostic

If it finds an external fault it should enable you to book an engineer.

Does this come back as being amber or red with any information?

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion