Discussion topic: Moving to Sky Broadband from BT, need PC connected via Ethernet cable

This message was authored by DebsW77 This message was authored by: DebsW77

Moving to Sky Broadband from BT, need PC connected via Ethernet cable

I am moving broadband to Sky from BT, however I am unsure how I am going to connect my son's PC.  We currently have a seperate BT disc in his bedroom which he connects to via an Ethernet cable.  Do Sky have a similar set up?  

He doesnt have a wireless connection available on his PC, so needs to connect via cable.  The main router will be too far away to run a cable, so is there another way I can get his PC connected?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!!

Best Answers
DebsW77
Topic Author
This message was authored by DebsW77 This message was authored by: DebsW77 Answer

Re: Moving to Sky Broadband from BT, need PC connected via Ethernet cable

@cookiemonsteruk 

Thanks for the advice!  I have the black discs, which I believe will not work.  But I will look into the Powerline adapter! Thanks

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DebsW77 

As far as i know the white bt discs will work with sky however you may have to disable the wifi on the sky hub so that the wifi doesn't interer with each other

Also consider ethernet/wifi powerline adapters which transfer the packets via your existing electric wiring 

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DebsW77 

This is an example of a passthrough (meaning its got a socket so you don't lose the socket the powerlines are plugged into) ethernet wifi powerline adapter

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/tplink-tlwpa8631p-v3-wifi-powerline-adapter-single-unit-10220724.h...

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
DebsW77
Topic Author
This message was authored by DebsW77 This message was authored by: DebsW77 Answer

@cookiemonsteruk 

Thanks for the advice!  I have the black discs, which I believe will not work.  But I will look into the Powerline adapter! Thanks

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion