Moving from BT to Sky

Researcher
Post 1 of 8

Moving from BT to Sky

I'm a BT customer on their fibre 2 unlimited pack, I get about 75mb as im close to the cabinet. So why am I posting this? Well, my mam has sky at her property, the basic fibre 40mb pack.

Now I currently pay £50 for the BT, it's a rock solid connection, no traffic management etc, but im debating switching over to Sky for my next contract. Sky seem to do their fibre max for 27 quid straight, 10 setup fee, and in theory as it's the same line...I should get my 70 odd meg.

I'm just wondering if you Sky folks would mind telling me if  this is a good move, if I'd still get my 70 odd mb, if there were any possible problems moving across please? The downsides I can see are the sky hub only has 2 ethernets (I use a min of 3), some places say the sky setup fee is 30 not 10, the sky router seems to have some wifi issues...and most importantly...im worried the Sky connection might not be as solid/fast.

Any help is appreciated, cheers!

All Replies
Oracle
Oracle
Post 2 of 8

Re: Moving from BT to Sky

@brenwood@I can’t comment on Sky as I am with BT and will stick with them. I am shocked at what you are paying though. I pay nothing like that for my BT fibre pack (ok it’s not max I can only get 23mbs) but currently I pay single figures for my broadband plus six pounds for Sport via a YouView box. My bill is just over £15 a month. I haggled for years and havecit down to nice low figure.Might be worth discussing contracts with BT as I keep my self in contract. I also pay the line rental up front which Sky dont offer which reduces my monthly bill to such a low price, 

Stuart R
I am responsible for the content, but not the way it is presented, I have some sight issues
Auto-Correct is my enemy.
If this is your first post - Welcome
Sky Q - full package

imagebam.com
Oracle
Post 3 of 8

@brenwood

Theoretically you should get the same line speed if you switch to Sky, however it is not always guaranteed. When you get a quote from Sky they will give you an expected speed range with a minimum figure so you could decide whether you are happy with that. 

In regards to the WiFi on the Sky hub, it is certainly not in the same league as BTs offering so you can likely expect a performance hit on WiFi. Most of the issues you see on the forum are 'mesh' issues which only have the potential to occur if you have Sky Q TV so i would not worry about that unless you are planning on getting Q. 

Director of Photography
Post 4 of 8

I can only say that I have always found Sky to be a rock solid connection. I had Sky Q TV for a while and a non-standard set-up which was a bit of a learning curve. I have always found the Q router's wifi to be okay as long as obstacles are kept to a minimum (the property in which I am living has standard brick walls, with generally only one wall between the router and a connecting device at any time). Hope this helps  Smiley Happy

Researcher
Post 5 of 8

Ta for the replies everyone, my 1st reason for paying was because Sky were always the most likely to traffic shape (they used to), add unspoken usage limits, or have the most people with them in the neighbourhood.  The standard existing customer renewal on BT fibre 2 (ie: 80 meg) is a shocking 58.99 per month, the best they will haggle down to is 51 and then the 41 I managed earlier today.  

Their hub is really good, im happy with that. 4 ethernets, good wifi with 2.4 or 5ghz. I've done the sky speed check and I should get the same high speeds,  I just wondered if they capped it out at 60 odd instead of the 75 I can get (being 200 yards from the cab). I definitely dont have or will ever have Sky Q, or any Sky TV package so that's not an issue (obviously my mam does and this is her account for her house).

I just am wary of signing up and the sky being a poor connection as i'd be stuck for 18 months, which would be a disaster..for an effective saving of 100 quid a year.

Oracle
Post 6 of 8

Sky dont traffic shape or impose unspoken limits. Your connection should be the same but not always guaranteed. If you arent happy you can leave the contract in the first 14 days

Highlighted
Researcher
Post 7 of 8

True, but you know what companies are like when you cancel, I'd have to send back their equipment and arrange a new broadband company etc.  I might ring them.

Oracle
Post 8 of 8

I doubt you'll get much out of calling Sky, they will just tell you the same as what is on the website.

Recommended Threads
3 weeks ago 06:51 PM
Oracle 07-12-2018 07:45 PM
Oracle 12-09-2018 08:12 PM
Oracle 02-11-2018 08:27 PM
26-11-2018 07:34 AM