Discussion topic: Migrating from BT

This message was authored by beardy55 This message was authored by: beardy55

Migrating from BT

I have BT sMart hub 2 and 3 blach HALO disks. I believe that they operate asa mesh and work for me. I am soon joining SKY Broadband ultrafast.

In order to maintain the mesh set up I have would it work to turn off the SKY wifi, connect the BT router to the Sky router by LAN and use the BT router as the node for my current mesh set up?

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Migrating from BT

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@beardy55 

I believe its only the bt white discs that work with sky. The black ones only work with bt homehubs

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@beardy55 

The new WiFi 6 disks will work with a router from another ISP.  As @cookiemonsteruk indicates, the much more common WiFi 5 disks only work with BT Broadband: in addition the BT Hub and matching Whole Home disks are typically loaned rather than sold and BT want loaned hardware back if subscription ceases.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@beardy55 

I don't recall anyone posting that what you are suggesting is possible: if you want to use a BT Smarthub 2 and that model of Whole Home Disks then you need to be on BT Broadband, which would be why BT have built them like that.

beardy55
Topic Author

Thanks for the responses. I have the black discs, but I believe that because I have been with BT since before 2019 I can keep the equipment (but like many things in life I could be wrong!)

@beardy55 

Possibly, yes, but it won't work with Sky or any other broadband (which is presumably why there are so many on eBay).

beardy55
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood 

I don't like being tied to one eco system, which is one of threasons I am leaving BT. However,  if I can keep the equipment and the set up it makes migrating much simpler. In theory I think that I wouldn't be using the BT smart hub as a router from the ISP, but using only the WIFI portion of it. I'll let you know if it works in a couple of weeks. If not then it's just another problem to play with.

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@beardy55 

You will be tied into the Sky ecosystem with their router unless you purchase your own router which is compatible with Sky authentication, eg: DHCP Option 61 and DHCPv6 PD.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
beardy55
Topic Author

@mae-3

You're probably right. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion