Discussion topic: Love sky on sky Connect package, just can't get full fibre broadband.

This message was authored by account+inform This message was authored by: account+inform

Love sky on sky Connect package, just can't get full fibre broadband.

I had a fault on my line about 2 weeks, which has now got sorted.  Thanks sky and BT for that.

While I was on phone to sky's technical team arranging for an engineer to come out and fix the fault, I am asked "have you thought about looking for a fibre provider?"
I reply to sky's technical team representative “I can't get fibre for love nor money, it's not financially viable to provide my property with non-urban fibre”. That's my understanding from an email I received recently from the CEO of the non-urban fibre  provider I signed up with nearly two years ago.

After some discussion, sky's technical team representative informs me that BT might be providing fibre in my area between '24 and '26. Hmmm? I think a bit and inquire to the technical team representative, "What happens in '25 when copper ADSL is no longer available?'

Now I am not sure if heard correctly but the idea is BT won't remove copper if a property can’t be provided with fibre broadband. I thought it's a done deal, ADSL copper will be switched off all over the uk by ’25.

Anywho, I now have zero, that's 0 Mbps, upload speed on sky connect service according to BTW Performance Checker, my download speed is 3.58 Mbps. I cannot, and know I can't, get better download speed. This is because the cabinet is more than 4 kilometres away…

The thing is the non-urban fibre provider that, effectively dumped me, has a put a whole load of tp poles down my road, with one tp pole not 30 metres away from my property!
So, my thoughts are:

•  What can do I do next, if anything
  • Is sky willing/having to provide ADSL broadband, (is that a thing?) after ’25 in areas with no fibre
  • does this mean no phone after 2025,  as ADSL is no longer available and VOIP properties in non-urban broadband non-profitable black spots not available
  • Has technology gone so far, or not far enough, potentially cutting out certain geographics? 

🙂.

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Love sky on sky Connect package, just can't get full fibre broadband.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@account+inform 

Can you go to this site and use the address checker then post the resulting table back here

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
account+inform
Topic Author
This message was authored by account+inform This message was authored by: account+inform

what is says, in part, is :
FTTP is not available.

The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme

As a WLR withdrawal exchange, product restrictions apply

SOADSL is not restricted at the exchange

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

For all SOADSL services,the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL availability: If shown at FTTP or SOGEA premises,ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL are not available to order due to WLR Withdrawal stop sell rules. CPs should order FTTP or SOGEA. Copper products are only available by exception. 

Thank you for your interest

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@account+inform wrote:

Now I am not sure if heard correctly but the idea is BT won't remove copper if a property can’t be provided with fibre broadband. I thought it's a done deal, ADSL copper will be switched off all over the uk by ’25.

The copper telecoms network is not being 'switched off' in December 2025: that's when PSTN (analogue) service  ends.  Fortunately neither government, industry or Ofcom is quite so incompetent as to not have anticipated this: for properties outside the reach of the optical network at that point there's a 'Single Order Transitional Access Product' (SOTAP) - essentially non-PSTN ADSL - and SOGFast ('Single Order Generic G.fast') as well as the much more common SOGEA equivalent of FTTC. Some properties are very likely to be served by IP over copper this way well into the 2030s.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@account+inform 

It would help if we could see the table above the notes that you did post

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@account+inform wrote:

After some discussion, sky's technical team representative informs me that BT might be providing fibre in my area between '24 and '26. Hmmm?

That would probably be a slightly garbled reference to the current declared government target of reaching the 85% of UK properties designated as being within the 'commercial' national FTTP rollout by the end of 2025.  This doesn't account for the remaining 15% which is defined as being 'non-commercial', as in occupier broadband subscription will never pay back the capital cost of getting an optical cable to the address and so some other form of funding is required or an alternative, non-cabled solution deployed.

This is not directly related to the end of PSTN (because non-PSTN alternative products to run over copper, exist as noted above) but it obviously has various implications for that process.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-8392/ 

@account+inform wrote:

• Has technology gone so far, or not far enough, potentially cutting out certain geographics?

Realistically some of that last 15% (and especially the final few %) of properties would be enormously expensive to reach by optical cable, and almost by definition any such (typically above ground) cable is then horribly vulnerable to storm damage and so extremely costly to maintain with no possibility of a commercial return on investment.

For those locations it's anticipated that 'other solutions', in particular 2-way satellite data, will be the viable option.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion