Discussion topic: Issues with network when Sky Q box connected via cat6

This message was authored by Daz5774 This message was authored by: Daz5774

Issues with network when Sky Q box connected via cat6

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help..

I have a unmanaged network switch attached to my Sky router via a CAT6 cable. On the unmanaged switch, I have several devices plugged in that work perfectly fine until I plug in my Sky Q box to that same switch. As soon as I plug the Sky Q box in, none of the devices are accessable via my iPhone when on the local WiFi, but are available when I switch to 4G (an example is my Philips Hue bridge.) If I unplug the Sky Q box, the devices begin to work again. Also if I plug them directly in to the Sky router, they begin to work again. I have tried a different switch and still have the same issue.

Any ideas please? Thanks.

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Issues with network when Sky Q box connected via cat6

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Daz5774 

It will be related to unfathomable routing Sky do with their Q mesh system. Is there a way you can connect the Q box to one of the Sky hubs ports directly rather than the switch as this would probably solve it. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Daz5774
Topic Author

I have tried this and still get strange issues with the network. With the Q box plugged in, I experience issues with some devices on wifi too! For example 2 of my Alexa's just will not connect, as soon as I unplug the Q box, they work fine again. 
just for info, I also have 1 mini box and 2 boosters, all 3 on wifi currently. Thanks. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Daz5774 as @jamesn123 explained we do see odd things like this on some Q systems. Others work perfectly but not all switches work equally although they all are "unmanaged" oddly the cheaper the switch the less chance of issues but no guarantees.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Daz5774
Topic Author

Thank you for the replies to this. Just to update, I have finally resolved the issue by connecting both the main Q box and the mini Q box directly to the router and turned the wireless off on both. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion