Discussion topic: Intermittent or no WIFI connection on Hub Max. All test good and show devices connected

This message was authored by MRS-JULIE This message was authored by: MRS-JULIE

Intermittent or no WIFI connection on Hub Max. All test good and show devices connected

Hi hope I can get some help. I had previously been advised by Sky that the white Max Hub would be all singing and dancing compared to the one I had previously. Which isnt the case. I cant connect my phone to the wifi my TV and Firestick constantly struggling and I work from home and it's becoming pretty painful. I had run the test and apparently all came up good. I had paid extra on my previous contract the extra £5 a month to cover wifi in all rooms and had no issues at all. But like I had said I had been convinced that what I have recently purchased was far better. 

I would be very grateful if anyone could help me resolve my issues. 

Thanks Julie

All Replies

This message was authored by CoffeeDrinker This message was authored by: CoffeeDrinker

Re: Intermittent or no WIFI connection on Hub Max. All test good and show devices connected

Am I right in assuming you have the white WiFi Max router?

If so,, the router is WiFi 6, meaning it will perform better when under load - if you have several devices on WiFi all attempting to use the internet at the same time, the router is less likely to buckle under the strain. This is particularly true for devices that also use WiFi 5 such as recent smartphones, Sky Glass & Sky Stream pucks  etc. In this respect, WiFi Max is better than the regular Sky Broadband Hib.

What the WifI Max router doesn't do is have better range or signal strength than the regular Sky Broadband Hub router. Are the devices that you are having trouble getting a reliable connection with in another room or on another floor to your WiFi Max router?

If so, you may well benefit from a WiFi Max Pod which will extend the range of the WiFi Max router and will impreove signal strength and overall speed to the rest of your address. If you call Sky, they should be able to guide you through doing WiFi speed tests and help decide if a Pod would help. If so, they;ll send you one and you plug it in around halfway between the WiFI Max hub and the furthest room you need reliable connectivity in.

Sky Glass & Streak Puck customer w/Sky Entertainments & Netflix, Sky Cinema, Whole Home & UHD/Dolby Atmos add-on.
This message was authored by dmccaughan This message was authored by: dmccaughan

Re: Intermittent or no WIFI connection on Hub Max. All test good and show devices connected

Hey, I am having the same issue. 

Switched to WiFi max so paying extra but the white router is constantly cutting out. I had no issues with the black router I had previously but since the switch it's been terrible. 

am I able to switch back?

This message was authored by Sully807 This message was authored by: Sully807

I am also having similar issues with the white hub, that being said I'm a new customer so have no experience with the previous hub, however the cutting out and restarting issues I'm getting multiple times most days seemed to be echoed by others who have upgraded from the standard hub to the white max hub.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Sully807 the White Sky hub 6 is normally pretty reliable but given there are several 10s of thousands in use it is inevitable some give issues. You do not say if you have reported this to Sky but assuming you haven't I am escalating your post to the Sky team who support the forum who should be in touch soon to offer you a private chat session to get this sorted. Keep an eye onnthe forum as if you miss the message just click the chat icon which will be added to the forum pages for you to use.saving a long phone call.

Unlike the okder hubs it is impossible to get the connection stats forum membersccsn usecto diagnose issues however Sky can access more information from their end so it is better they help you.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Sully807 This message was authored by: Sully807

@Chrisee thanks

While I understand that there's a huge number of these units out in the wild so to speak, there's a whole lot of people reporting the same kind of things with the white hub, and the general consensus seems to be its pretty crap on the reliability front.

I have not reported to sky yet as all the contact pages just showed guides on how to plug in your hub etc. Which is very odd.

No live chat or contact details in the app either, all very shoddy, almost like sky want go make it difficult by design. 

Did you report the issue for me or the OP? I'd much prefer a live chat than phonecall to be honest. 

@Sully807 I escalated your post - I did pick up the wrong username at first but removed thst post - however you can of course call Sky if you prefer simply ignore the invite.

Live chat is only linked when there is capacity to deliver it which as this weekend has been busy. The forum escalation team take referrals from Superusers where we consider it is necessary. The 100% reliable piece of kit doesnt exist but having used a SR213 for over 6 months without issue I would challenge your assumption. The system is new and had teething issues innthe first two months but overall now it is as reliable as any other model of hub according to what Sky contacts tell us..  

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Mr+Flibbles+86 This message was authored by: Mr+Flibbles+86

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks for escalating this. We’ve sent an invite to chat.

This message was authored by dmccaughan This message was authored by: dmccaughan

@Mr+Flibbles+86I've also flagged this issue, please can someone respond to me? I work from home and since the switch I'm getting constant drops in connection when I'm in meetings

@dmccaughan I have escalated your post as requested.

This message was authored by Murray2 This message was authored by: Murray2

Im also having the same issues with the new white sky wifi max router.

The old black router was perfect for 18 months. 

This message was authored by WiFi_max_6_user This message was authored by: WiFi_max_6_user

Why do sky tell you they will send out a WiFi max pod but then ignore that request while WiFi 6 shows poor WiFi connection to parts of house unable to receive good WiFi and not meet thier guarantee but continue to charge for it. With no customer service and just being directed around in circles?
This message was authored by WiFi_max_6_user This message was authored by: WiFi_max_6_user

Why do sky tell you they will send out a WiFi max pod but then ignore that request while WiFi 6 shows poor WiFi connection to parts of house unable to receive good WiFi and not meet their guarantee but continue to charge for it. With no customer service and just being directed around in circles?

Sky team just want to get you off the call, say one thing and do nothing about it. Happy.to charge for service but then ignore customer. Also Impossible to get through unless via billing department but then still say one thing and do nothing about it. Paid for sky max guarantee with advertising saying upto 3 pops available but none are ever sent, not even the single one requested! A complete joke of providing any customers service. Has anyone had the same issues or is it just new customers only. Engineer installer said just phone to request one, but this seems to have been another fob off.... Leaving install with incomplete WiFi in the bedrooms......
This message was authored by TheRockIt This message was authored by: TheRockIt

I'm having the same issues since moving to the SR213. I have an additional pod now, but am still having regular dropouts from certain devices and several devices showing as red in the list. Works fine for me in the office near the hub, but the kids are regularly shouting at me that they're struggling. Given they are at the other end of the house this makes sense, which is why I requested the pod that now sits between them and the router but this does not seem to have resolved the issue. What's the next step? I was told that an engineer might come to survey but I can't find anyway of requesting this? Any help would be much appreciated!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion