Discussion topic: Hub Installation

This message was authored by JD291081 This message was authored by: JD291081

Hub Installation

Hi,

I am having Broadband fitted on 27th December 
I have been with Virgin for 10 years and the Router has always been postione dnext to the TV,
Is it possible for the SKy Hub to be pu here or will be placed in another room? or do I get a hoice on where it can go ?

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Hub Installation

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@JD291081 

FTTC will connect to an Openreach master phone socket.  For FTTP the significant location is the ONT ('fibre modem')

Putting the address into the BT Wholesale Availability Checker should indicate which provisioning type is applicable.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome 

It's the table and the two text lines below it which are most useful.

Remove any personal information (such as the address itself) if you post an image.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
JD291081
Topic Author

Ok it states 

FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered

not sure what that means ?

I just want to know if the ONT can be positioned where I would like or will the engineer put it wherever is easiest ?

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@JD291081 

What does it say re: property type single or mdu and any anticipated issues.  Copy and paste the first 3 lines of the notes

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by mormegil This message was authored by: mormegil

The ont may be fitted where you want it it depends on the location of the external wiring the engineer will discuss location and placement with you during the installation so may come down to a comprimise in location and what you agree to compared to what is possible

normally they try to fit it near the tv so is connected to the same double power socket but is dependant on they layout of your home internally

JD291081
Topic Author

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG congested duct.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@JD291081 those notes are not good news as it implies there maybe a delay in provisioning your new line while Openreach sorts out the underground duct probably by digging it up. In terms of location of the external customer service point it will probably be point on the front of the property. If they plan to dig in your property they should agree with you what they plan before they do anything .

The ONT is normally fitted on the inside of the same wall but the engineers have flexibility on where they can fit the ONT subject to the length of the fibre pigtail cable which from memory is normally 10m. The hub can be wherever you want but connects to the ONT by an ethernet cable. Sky's supplied cable is around 2m but you can change that up to 100m if you want. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
JD291081
Topic Author

That's concerning 

maybe I should consider cancelling the broadband and keep that with Virgin instead 

otherwise it sounds like it's going to be a hassle 😟

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@JD291081 that is up to you but definitely dont cancel with Virgin until the new service is up and running. It is impossible to know how long it will take to sort running the new fibre but you pay nothing until the new service is up and running.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion