Discussion topic: How to change Wi-Fi signal to 2.4ghz

This message was authored by Brendanjc This message was authored by: Brendanjc

How to change Wi-Fi signal to 2.4ghz

IMG_6639.png

I recently changed my broadband to Sky and am having trouble connecting a Wi-Fi time switch (Time Guard wifiFST) that controls an outside light. The app to control it says I have to have 2.4ghz broadband. I have a Sky 4.2 router which I believe is 5 ghz. 
I have typed in 192.168.0.1, to my browser, logged in and clicked on Wi-Fi on the menu bar at the top of the page. I have clicked channel 6 which I believe is 2.4 ghz.)  and pressed apply but it seems to make no difference. There are however other tick boxes which can be changed. Do I need to alter any of these? I'm afraid my tech. Knowledge is fairly basic.  HELP PLEASE!!

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: How to change Wi-Fi signal to 2.4ghz

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Brendanjc 

As posted by @jamesn123

Note that this process does not apply to the new (white) Max Hub

So to split the two channels you need to go to your router config page which can be found by typing 192.168.0.1 into your web browser.

To access the page, you'll need;

username: admin

password: sky OR your WiFi password

- Select wireless from the navigation bar and scroll down a little and untick the 'Synchronise 2.4GHz and 5GHz settings'

- Scroll to the bottom of the page and hit apply.

- Once the page reloads you need to go to the 5GHz wireless settings page on the sub navigation bar below where you click wireless before

- In the 5GHz section you want to go to the box called 'Name (SSID)' and add something like 5g to the end of the current name

- Scroll down and hit apply

- Then on any wireless device you should now see two networks. One network will be the same name as usual and will be 2.4GHz band and the other will be the usual name with 5G on the end (Or whatever you typed). Connect any 5GHz capable device to the 5GHz network and see if it works correctly. The WiFi password should be the same if you havent changed it.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Brendanjc
Topic Author
This message was authored by Brendanjc This message was authored by: Brendanjc

Re: How to change Wi-Fi signal to 2.4ghz

Thank you so much for the quick answer - and plain English! I've followed the instructions and everything seems to be ok. However, the device I'm trying to connect to is a fairly simple Wi-Fi Timer, and when I try to connect I'm not offered an option between 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz. I suspect the Timer defaults to the strongest signal, which I assume is 5.0ghz? Rather than split the signal as you have suggested, is it possible to disable 5.0ghz?

(Apologies if you've received this reply already, my phone died just as I hit send...) Regards, Brendan

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion