Discussion topic: How do I set up Deco x55 directly connected to ONT

This message was authored by imago_uk This message was authored by: imago_uk

How do I set up Deco x55 directly connected to ONT

I'm trying to set up my new TP Link Deco X55 to Sky fibre (FTTP) but it fails to connect to the internet. I want to use the X55 as the router and not via the Sky broadband hub (SR203) to avoid multiple cables and boxes in the hallway!

I seem to be struggling to connect to the internet due to the connection type and understand I should be using Dynamic IP and not PPPOE.  I have read this isn't possible due to the X55 not supporting dhcp61 - is that correct?

I also have a Sky Q box and 3 mini boxes connected to my wifi and have seen other posts stating the X55 doesn't work well with Sky Q - is there any truth in that?  

Am I just best sending the Deco X55 back and purchasing the Eero 6+ or similar instead?  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: How do I set up Deco x55 directly connected to ONT

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@imago_uk Openreach engineers have limited experience of how different ISP's networks work. Honestly with Sky Q using the Sky hub is simpler and in most homes work quite well. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@imago_uk 

You can try DHCPv6 PD for the Deco x55 by following this article:-

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/2642/ 

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
imago_uk
Topic Author

The guidance still refers to username and passeord for PPPoE being required, which by all accounts isn't supported by Sky fibre (unless in Ireland).

As you can tell I'm not IT expert on all this but would like to think I can follow simple instructions so I'll have a go!

Do you think I should just return the Deco and go for something else?

@imago_uk 

The easiest and most experienced on the community forum is with Asus routers most of these support both authentication methods for Sky, eg; DHCPv4 Option 61 and DHCPv6 PD.

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
imago_uk
Topic Author

Ok thanks, Are they a router and mesh system? Don't suppose you are aware of any model numbers for me to look at to start my search?  Thanks

@imago_uk 

If you search on Google for 'Asus mesh system' then you'll find most are compatible with Sky broadband and connecting directly to the ONT.

-------

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@imago_uk as you have heard the Deco range is not ideal to use with Sky fibre but should work using the DHCOv6 PD option with no authentication string required.

Regarding Sky Q which will work with third party router but there are some things to remember. When you have a Sky hub with Sky Q the main boxes and the Q minis act as wifi mesh nodes. Thst cannot happen without the Sky hub instead the main Q box connects to the new wifi using the 2.4GHz bands and the Q minis connect to the main boxes 5GHz hot spot which is not available to your other devices. It can be got to work without interference with your new third party wifi but care needs to bectaken to ensure the Q 5GHz signal does not cause interference.

By default Q boxes use ch36 to 52 in the 5GHz band but can be set to use half thst bandwidth ie ch36 to 44 or ch44 to 52 by using the engineer's menu. The alternative and better solution is to turn off the Q boxes wifi and hard wire them to tge router or to a mesh node.

Hope thst helps.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
imago_uk
Topic Author

@Chrisee 

Thanks for the advice, that's really helpful. 

It's all starting to sound a lot more complicated than I was led to believe by the  BT fibre engineer!  

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

@imago_uk Openreach engineers have limited experience of how different ISP's networks work. Honestly with Sky Q using the Sky hub is simpler and in most homes work quite well. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion