Discussion topic: How can I get faster broadband installed?

This message was authored by minimoe This message was authored by: minimoe

How can I get faster broadband installed?

The post-code checker says I'm on the fastest in my area, for all ISP's available in my area. My neighbors further up my street have Fibre with BT and Virgin Media. I'm on 59Mb right now (with Sky).

How would I get a fibre line installed? Am I stuck with this for now?

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: How can I get faster broadband installed?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@minimoe 

Enter your full postal address below and post the table after removing your address from the image

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
minimoe
Topic Author

minimoe_0-1668606575382.png

Table attached, doesn't look promising

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@minimoe 

It looks like the fastest speed is 42Mbps so isp's round that down to 40Mbps. Not looking good at the moment 

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

minimoe
Topic Author

Is that the fastest speed available right now, or in general? I'm paying for a 59Mb connection. Is this Sky being weird with their advertising? The word "average" is used a lot. Seems kinda sneaky. I get nowhere near these "average speeds" at any time.

@minimoe 

59Mbps is a national average which advertising standards permit isp's to quote.  So sky and no doubt other isp's are within their right to quote that figure

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@minimoe 

FTTC speed is entirely dependent on the distance from the local fibre cabinet to the subscription address over copper 'phone' cable: an ISP cannot deliver more speed than the laws of physics permit.  FTTC tops out at 80Mbs and drops from there: as @cookiemonsteruk indicates, ISPs are permitted to advertise using a particular form of 'average' which some of their customers simply cannot get.  

FTTC-speed-against-distance.png

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@minimoe 

It sounds like you have been unlucky and not connected to the full fibre network that your neighbours up the road are. This can often happen if Openreach decide its not worth the cost to continue the fibre deployment all the way up the street or if they find a limiting factor to stop the deployment. 

You can use this site https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband to see if it will give you an idea of Openreaches plans for your area, usually it'll either say 'We dont have plans yet to build in your area' or 'We are starting to build in your area' 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion