Discussion topic: Hi does anyone know how to set a timer that automatically switches off the wifi during the night?

This message was authored by Sam205 This message was authored by: Sam205

Hi does anyone know how to set a timer that automatically switches off the wifi during the night?

Im trying to stop my teenagers going on line till the early hours of the morning.  If anyone could share advice regarding a timer, i would be grateful!

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Hi does anyone know how to set a timer that automatically switches off the wifi during the night

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Sam205 

A plug timer would do the job, although it would mean you or any other devices wouldnt have internet access either at those times. Additionally if you are not on Full Fibre its not a good idea to have your router power off each night as it can affect the line monitoring and cause it to slow your speed down as it thinks there is a fault. 

Your other option would be the parental controls that Sky provide, although it comes at an extra cost in the Sky WiFi Max subscription. 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-wifi-max 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Hi does anyone know how to set a timer that automatically switches off the wifi during the night

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Sam205 

A variation on what @jamesn123 suggests is to acquire a separate wireless access point (note - not a second router) and have that on the timer.  Give the young people the WiFi credentials for the access point signal, and change those on the Sky Hub away from default settings.  That way the Hub can keep functioning for adult devices when the access point is off.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion