Discussion topic: Full fibre use custom router

This message was authored by ar6 This message was authored by: ar6

Full fibre use custom router

Hi, recently OpenReach have upgraded the area and full fibre is now available.

Currently on max 30Mbps and would like to upgrade. I currently use my own edgerouter 6p max. However, i have a TP-LINK ARCHER VR400 in modem mode and which is used to supply internet.

I don't want to mess around with the whole network as I have VLANS configured and an EAP which has multiple SSID and VLAN compatible.

Would may archer still work or not? I believe use DHCP Option 61, but not sure if this is different for full fibre.

Advice appreciated before I upgrade, otherwise will just have to wait until contract expires 

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Full fibre use custom router

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ar6 

TP-Link routers can be very hit & miss with Sky broadband, some claim to support DHCP Option 61 but dont work & some claim to not support it but do work. If you have it working with DHCP Option 61 currently then there should be no reason why it does not work on FTTP as its the same authentication.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
ar6
Topic Author
This message was authored by ar6 This message was authored by: ar6

I assume i could use the Edgerouter max wan port to get a public IP. If I am correct the ONT acts as a modem right? And router just needed for auth and getting public IP?

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ar6 

Correct, ONT is your modem & router must authenticate via DHCP Option 61 & get a public IP.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion