Discussion topic: Full fibre broadband

This message was authored by vinnyjones1 This message was authored by: vinnyjones1

Full fibre broadband

If you take out new 24 month contract on full fibre 500 with guarantee 400 minimum and WiFi in every room and you run a speed test with fast.com as sky recommends and say it does hit 400 in your living room where router is then what should I expect to have in say the upstairs bedrooms ?? Because I go upstairs and run tests in each room and only hitting around 50 to 60 at most and I also have a booster on my landing and a Q mini box in 2 of the 3 bedrooms

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Full fibre broadband

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@vinnyjones1 wrote:
then what should I expect to have in say the upstairs bedrooms ?? 

Largely dependent on router placement, the nature of the building fabric and the local wireless environment (including what the neighbours are doing)

Through a few walls, all WiFi is zero Mbs.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
vinnyjones1
Topic Author
This message was authored by vinnyjones1 This message was authored by: vinnyjones1

My router is in living room up on unit about 5ft high . My laptop is about 3ft below it on unit and now and then I will run test on laptop and it hits 230 then leave a while run test again and only hitting 54 or something it's up and down every time.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@vinnyjones1 wrote:
I will run test on laptop and it hits 230 then leave a while run test again and only hitting 54 or something it's up and down every time.

Yes: inconsistency is a hallmark of WiFi.  The presence of those Q boxes may well not be helping though: their WiFi is semi-proprietary and from a different generation.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
vinnyjones1
Topic Author

I don't understand it all but don't see anything working any faster or better than the normal broadband I had with sky before the fibre was installed and activated today. Would things like my laptop work quicker and better if I connected it straight to router or better on wifi? Because at moment it don't seem any better or quicker and like said upstairs tests look rubbish and wifi seems bad never had good wifi since been with sky even if on my phone in room with router but never had any problems with wifi etc when I was with talk talk before sky
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@vinnyjones1 

You will likely never hit the max speed of your line over WiFi because of all the different factors that come into play. The speeds that sky quote (500mbps) are intended to be obtainable via ethernet, not WiFi. The speeds you've said you are getting over WiFi arent too bad considering you have Sky Q and other boosters, additionally the speeds are plenty for normal web browsing & streaming so what exactly do you mean when you say the WiFi seems bad?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
vinnyjones1
Topic Author

Wifi is bad like i can sit in the living room where router is or go in kitchen and cant use wifi on mobile phone half the time plus things like smart tv in bedrooms keep dropping or buffer

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion