Frequent Disconnects with Broadband

Answered
Go to Answer
Boom Operator
Post 1 of 27

Frequent Disconnects with Broadband

Greetings o/ so recently my broadband has been experiencing frequent disconnects however i do not believe this is related to a line issue. ive been consistently monitoring line stats and its always stable for the most part. upload noise range spikes to 13.3 or 13.7db but is it fair to say and associate this issue due to a overload in bandwidth ? 

Broadband LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed14462 kbps1023 kbps
Line Attenuation33.0 dB20.1 dB
Noise Margin6.7 dB13.13 dB

The number of devices in the household has jumped by 2. a phone and a tablet and from my knowledge and own experience we where not experiencing disconnects on this level since more family members moved back in.

is there a way to elevate this issue or fix it ? sadly sky hub support logs don't really log anything useful in determining what the issue is.

but disconnects happen when family members arrive home. most commonly connected devices to the network are:
- PC
- 3x phones
- 1x Tablet
- Sky Box
- Smart TV(barely used for internet stuff AKA youtube etc)

Answer

Best Answers
Highlighted
Answer
Oracle
Post 4 of 27

Re: Frequent Disconnects with Broadband

I don't see why heavy bandwidth usage would cause the disconnections you're seeing. Given what you've said and the fact that your router stats look ok, I agree it doesn't look like a line issue. Your router log may show something to others more knowledgeable than me, but at the moment my first suspicion would be a faulty router.

All Replies
Oracle
Post 2 of 27

Hi @Bross it would help if you posted the whole stats page as it isnt clear whether these are adsl (Sky Broadband) or VDSL (Sky fibre) stats - before anyone jumps in the latest firmware means the hubs now report upstream noise margin on fibre connections. It will also show how long the link has run since the last resync and how long the hub has run since the last reboot.

The downstream noise margin is 6.7dB is in a reasonable range but the upstream margin looks high. I would experiment by changing the filter you are using and trying the hub connected to the test socket you should find behind the faceplate on your phone master socket as that bypasses yout internal phone wiring which can cause issues. Check the stats each time.

Connecting extra devices will have no impact on the noise margin or overall connection speed which is shared between devices. Dependant on which hub you have you can get issues if you exceed 16 wifi device connections - the Q hub has a much higher limit. 

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Boom Operator
Post 3 of 27

appoligies this is ADSL. thought that was obvious via the speeds Smiley Wink

like ive stated before i feel this isnt a line issue. ive run multiple tests including via the test socket. everything seems fine, phone is giving clear dial tone. everything seems smooth. tho just now we have been experiencing multiple DC within the past 40 minutes. have no clue what caused them!

these are the current full stats since regaining internet. 

System Up Time: 00:10:47
PortStatusTxPktsRxPktsCollision PktsTx b/sRx b/sUp Time
WANPPPoA70503979240791583090400:09:26
LANUp8872533475116534764355400:10:47
WLAN (2.4 GHz)Up120100518000:09:18
WLAN (5 GHz)Up94432670100343208064000:09:19

Broadband LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed14785 kbps1023 kbps
Line Attenuation33.0 dB19.9 dB
Noise Margin6.0 dB12.12 dB
Highlighted
Answer
Oracle
Post 4 of 27

I don't see why heavy bandwidth usage would cause the disconnections you're seeing. Given what you've said and the fact that your router stats look ok, I agree it doesn't look like a line issue. Your router log may show something to others more knowledgeable than me, but at the moment my first suspicion would be a faulty router.

Boom Operator
Post 5 of 27

Another update. had 2 back to back DC. PC is the only device running currently. well not really there is a total of 3 but the other 2 are the sky box and smart TV. both on standby currently.

the DC had a frequent pattern that become more obvious as time went on but now i have no clue whats been causing the mass strings of DC's. im so confused as to whats actually happening now.

Camera Operator
Post 6 of 27

The fact that the system uptime is resettling to 0 is significant as that should only occur during one of three scenarios:

1 Reboot.
2 Firmware update.
3 Interruption to power supply.
A line fault will only reset the WAN uptime.

Can't be 1 or 2 so check all things mains related ie: try a different socket etc.
Otherwise looks like a faulty router (failing PSU.)
Boom Operator
Post 7 of 27

il try an older router. just had another one recently. every time i visited a webpage upstream noise margin would spike to 100.10db and thus couldnt connect to anything for at least 5 mins before turning the hub off and on again

:EDIT:
well ive setup the old router again but cant get statistics for some odd reason. just infinite loading on router stats page.

Boom Operator
Post 8 of 27

errr.PNG

erm anyone got any ideas on how to fix this so it actually shows stats ?

Oracle
Post 9 of 27

Give deleting your browser cache a try.

Boom Operator
Post 10 of 27

its the first think i tried @Mark39 sadly nothing shows. cant monitor router statistics to see if it might be a fault router or a line issue

Oracle
Post 11 of 27

Hi @Bross not all fibre lines are that fast with your attenuation figure it could have been fibre.

I agree with @Mark39 thst you have a dodgy hub which needs mending with a new one - the time resetting means a spontaenous reboot has happened which should only happen after an update. Get onto Sky to get them to send a new one the issues with the interface is another symptom. 

Boom Operator
Post 12 of 27

Evening to yous all and thank you @Chrisee @Mark39 @gymno74 for the insight and suggestions / discussion in trying to dicern this issue. i whipped out the only router we had available at the time which is at least 6 years old at this point. plugged it in and got it setup around 9ish last night. then went to bed about 40 mins after and woke up around 2:40 this morning and since that point in time ive not seen any DC's. tho i would still prefer to see the dam stats page but none the less id know if a disconnect happened and it didnt. 

will look into getting the router replaced.

Camera Operator
Post 13 of 27

The GUI looks like that of the sagem f@st 2504n.

I've no idea why the status page is only partially displaying but it may be running an older firmware.
As it hasn't been used for some time i would reset it by holding in the reset button on the rear for 15 seconds.
Use a biro, paper clip or such like.

Alternatively try this url http://192.168.0.1/sky_system.html
Boom Operator
Post 14 of 27

@gymno74 sadly i have all ready tried that. it seems that the GUI will only sometimes and quite frankly rarely load the UI so that i can get to the router stats page. i had to consistantly switch from setup to maintanence for the UI to show. none the less i managed to get on and well. the speeds have dropped. dunno why. and the upstream noise margin has spiked badly! these are the current stats

System Up Time: 08:30:35

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up TimeWANLANWLAN

PPPoA27926564329705090243499308:30:08
100M/Full38834392608943015692814608:30:30
11M/54M558100345788022933314708:30:17

12759 kbps797 kbps
33 db18 db
7 db16 db

id just like to point out that the router had to be restarted after for some unknown reason i DC'ed early this afternoon but couldnt get back online. so had to turn it off and on again at the plugs. this seemigly due to a DNS issue.

operating time before this was 168-ish hours. 

still not managed to phone sky yet and see about an exchange on the router but have been hearing people need to pay £35 to get a replacement sky hub ??? just wondering if its expected for me to be charged money for a router that iirc ive only owned no less than a year at this point.

Oracle
Post 15 of 27

Hi @Bross you should not be charged to replace a faulty router assuming you have not damaged it yourself.

Recommended Threads
14-07-2018 09:16 PM
Oracle 10-08-2018 07:08 PM
Community Manager 29-10-2018 09:24 AM
Oracle 02-11-2018 08:27 PM
3 weeks ago 07:34 AM