Free upgrade

This topic has been answered
Go to Answer
Researcher
Post 121 of 360

Re: Free upgrade

@jamesn123

I have just tried that but no difference, Router stat is still the same and the same for the speed test.

Boom Operator
Post 122 of 360

When I had my upgrade the letter mentioned a speed gurantee of 50M .(.which incidentally I only just achieve on my line)   ...but if you have maxx upgrade and speed is less than 50m I think sky will fix that under speed gurantee??

Richard of Essex
Oracle
Post 123 of 360

@jem1

It seems like you may have a throughput problem. Are there any other devices connected when you are running the speed test? Could you send a link to the speed test result on speedtest.net when you have completed it?

Researcher
Post 124 of 360

Been on the phone to sky seems like ages doing different tests, Looks like I was upgraded yesterday and was told to wait 24 hours, if the downlaod speed hasn't changed to get in contact again.

Edit: no i have no other devices connected when doing the speed test.

Sound Designer
Post 125 of 360

When i received my email saying that my upgrade has been processed i noticed it said that it will be  activated within 72 hours, i am wondering if the " Processed " part means it had been sheduled with OR and will be activated by them at whatever time and date has been sheduled for it within the 72 hrs.

i only received my confirmation at 5 am so no change yet but at least i know it is in the pipeline.

Oracle
Post 126 of 360

@jem1 the stats you posted show you were upgraded and are getting full 80/20 sync. The issue is with the throughput. Sky standard brush off is "wait until it settles" by the way.

As @jamesn123 asked can you post the speedtest result but not all speedtests are created equalso try the one here as that is quite reliable as it uses multiple connections.

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Researcher
Post 127 of 360

@Chrisee Thanks I was sure it was just the normal thing they say, but indeed this morning at 7am my download went from 38mbps to  75mbpsSmiley Happy I had checked at 2am and it had not changed and really thought I was going to have to get on to sky.

So anyone with their upload increased but not Download just hang on in there.

Oracle
Post 128 of 360

That is very strange, for the stats to show the full sync but the download speed to be unobtainable for a while. I wonder what they do in the background.

Researcher
Post 129 of 360

@jamesn123 I don't I thought once they changed the speed then both would be changed.

I got a email through this morning saying it's completed in the first 10 days we test your phone line so they can provied the best speed. 

EDIT: Now I wish I could sort out faster wifi speeds so my daughter can enjoy netflix without needing to run a cable to her room. 

Oracle
Post 130 of 360

@jem1

You could possibly improve WiFi speeds by buying a 3rd party access point rather than using the sub-par WiFi capabilities of the Sky Q router.

Sound Designer
Post 131 of 360

@jem1

For the most stable & quick connection, I'd recommend a powerline adapter plugged into a mains outlet in your daughter's room, with a LAN/ethernet cable from that directly into her TV/PC. That'll be virtually like a wired connection without having to run a long cable all the way from the router to her room.

Powerline adapters can be bought cheaper if bought in pairs/threes, so buy those if you need more than one. Some of them have a passthrough mains socket too, so go for those instead if you cannot spare a mains plug point (as powerline adapters don't work well or not at all at times if plugged into a mains extension cable).

I'm not sure if Amazon links are allowed on the forums, otherwise I'd have posted some suggestions.

Researcher
Post 132 of 360

@jamesn123

Thanks I didn't think you were allowed to use any other router than skys one?

@Crossbow  I have heard of powerlines but when I have talked about it before with mates they say they are not as good, but it is something I will try now i'm getting good speeds.

Looks like Sky are still messing around with the speed as its changed a bit.

The noise margin has gone up and downstream has gone down a little bit.

router.jpgstat 2.jpg

Oracle
Post 133 of 360

Hi @jem1 you are now free to use virtually any router you like to connect to Sky fibre BUT don't expect any support from Sky. Sky use a non standard connection system that only some third party routers support. You can also use a third party wifi access point with the Sky hub which maybe simpler

Sky are not messing about with your speed it is all automatic and the kit in the cabinet will continue to monitor your line and adjust the speeds accordingly however you are on the max 80Mb/s down cap (don't worry about the tiny variation of 7kb/s) and 20Mb/s up with some head room for issues before speeds drop so nothing to worry about there. Noise margin is irrelevant once you hit the speed cap - think of it as reserve speed.

Powerline adapters are a good way to get signals to the areas of your house that have poor wifi. They use your mains wiring so performance depends on how good that is. Simple rules to follow plug the adapters into wall sockets  if possible - you can get ones with mains pass through - and you must avoid surge protectors. Buy adapters faster than you need as on a average you will get roughly 30% of rated output in most homes. The premium brands like Denovo use all three cables so are more reliable. You can buy adapters with built in wifi extenders or ethernet outputs. 

Researcher
Post 134 of 360

Morning @Chrisee

That's good if sky allows you to use any router that is one option, I might give the powerline ones a try first. ThanksSmiley Happy

Seems like  wifi on netflix this morning has increased, maybe I should wait until the first ten days is up and see if my speed will settle down after the ten days.

Oracle
Post 135 of 360

Hi @jem1 wifi speeds have nothing to do with the upgrade if they are faster this morning it sounds like interference from a neighbour's network - which is the biggest issue bar none with wifi as we all buy more and more wifi devices.

Try changing the channel your hub is using try 1,6,11, 3 or 9 to find the best - test st a busy time - or get a wifi analyzed app for a phone which will show the channel and strength of any wifi networks in range.

Recommended Threads
20 minutes ago 03:13 PM
4 hours ago 11:17 AM
Jaber 6 hours ago 09:55 AM
Oracle 7 hours ago 08:22 AM
Oracle yesterday 10:23 PM