Free upgrade

This topic has been answered
Go to Answer
Researcher
Post 106 of 360

Re: Free upgrade

Has anyone been able to contact Sky to ask them when the free upgrades might happen in their area? Got a letter November/December (maybe earlier) saying the upgrades would be happening soon. I am in Surrey area.

Oracle
Post 107 of 360

@skywiz00 I'm not sure Sky would be able to tell you. The timetable is Openreach's. All upgrades are scheduled to be complete by the Spring.

Boom Operator
Post 108 of 360

I did in Nov,when is it happening ,I'm in liverpool

Oracle
Post 109 of 360

@Teamlead wrote:

I did in Nov..

Did what? If you're saying you received a letter advising you were to be upgraded, see the replies below regarding 'when'.

Oracle
Post 110 of 360

Upgrades will happen over a 3 to 4 month on an exchange by exchange basis rather than by region. There are roughly 2,800 exchanges which have Sky connectivity and I believe a million users to be upgraded so it's not a trivial process.

Patience is required.

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Boom Operator
Post 111 of 360

I know we are flogging this topic to death, BUT, dare I ask what exactly is involved in this upgrade from an Openreach perspective? I guess we won`t see a guy up a ladder at various telegraph poles and probably not someone delving into the green box at the end of each road so I presume it`s an "exchange" thing but what does an engineer do- hit a switch and a block of a hundred people swap over or physically fiddle with each persons wires? Just out of interest like !

Managing Editor
Post 112 of 360

I only know by searching my local exchange is upto 80MB (think Bst offer 78mb fibre)

Not sure about the Sky part from the exchange.

Maybe another forum user could answer.

Researcher
Post 113 of 360

Mine has been upgraded but when doing speed tests its the same speed as I was getting before, anyone the same?

edit: upload has changed to 18 mbps but download hasn't changed. is that normal? 

Oracle
Post 114 of 360

@beejays wrote:

I know we are flogging this topic to death, BUT, dare I ask what exactly is involved in this upgrade from an Openreach perspective? I guess we won`t see a guy up a ladder at various telegraph poles and probably not someone delving into the green box at the end of each road so I presume it`s an "exchange" thing but what does an engineer do- hit a switch and a block of a hundred people swap over or physically fiddle with each persons wires? Just out of interest like !

As far as I know it is a simple programming change to change the speed caps the DSLAM your line is connected to and is done remotely from the cabinet. Openreach are doing several thousand a day for Sky but inevitable it takes time to go through a million.

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Oracle
Post 115 of 360

@Chrisee is correct about the upgrade process. It's a settings change, not physical activity.

Openreach carry out these upgrades at a time/date to suit their workload. Hence why some are taking longer than others.

Oracle
Post 116 of 360

@jem1

if you post your router statistics somebody here will be happy to check your connection speed. The sticky post at the top of the forum explains how to find and post them.

Edited to correct the 'mentioned' user name.

Researcher
Post 117 of 360

Thanks markm9 As you can tell Router stats show I have been upgraded:

router.jpg

Oracle
Post 118 of 360

@jem1 wrote:

Mine has been upgraded but when doing speed tests its the same speed as I was getting before, anyone the same?

edit: upload has changed to 18 mbps but download hasn't changed. is that normal? 

How are you running the speed tests?

Researcher
Post 119 of 360

@jamesn123

I'm using speed test.net and it's a wired connection. Results Download: 38.42 mbps Upload 18.58 mbps

Oracle
Post 120 of 360

@jem1

Although this shouldnt really matter, I notice from your stats that the router has not rebooted for almost 1000hours so try rebooting the router and giving it another go.

Recommended Threads
31 minutes ago 03:13 PM
4 hours ago 11:17 AM
Jaber 6 hours ago 09:55 AM
Oracle 7 hours ago 08:22 AM
Oracle yesterday 10:23 PM