Free upgrade

Answered
Go to Answer
Boom Operator
Post 76 of 165

Re: Free upgrade

Oh...and always plug direct the into the pre-filtered master socket with supplied (or better if longer) cable.

Richard of Essex
Managing Editor
Post 77 of 165

@Richard+of+Essex

My master socket is in hall which is why BT asked if they could use ex VM socket and correctly advised I wouldn't get full speed rather than a cable being ran etc

I don't mind stable 30 MB 

Boom Operator
Post 78 of 165

Hi...you can get long (10m or even 20m) RJ11 cables ( that connect router to master socket) amazon / ebay have several listed......the well made types usually have moulded end sockets....these are a way to re-locate router and use master socket ...particularly good if  yours is a pre filted master socket....

...just a suggestion for when you want a bit more!!!

Richard of Essex
Managing Editor
Post 79 of 165

Thanks Richard

maybe 2019 re cabling then in my own time.

Managing Editor
Post 80 of 165

Is that all I need 10meter rj11 cable.

Is this not  CAT 5 home project then

I'll allow upgrade 1st to determine if I require higher speeds.

Oracle
Post 81 of 165

@Donfor Sounds like a lash up if you are dropping 10Mb/s why not get Sky to move your master socket they may charge but on occasions will do it FOC. While you can do it yourself you are not supposed to according to Openreach and if you mess up expect a much larger bill putting it right.

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Managing Editor
Post 82 of 165

Thanks all advice

I since re checked it's master socket plate only In hall

Master socket with connector is opposite side of livingroom

I since connected cordless tel and master socket is working.

I'm note sure exact info approx 2 years earlier as I thought I wasn't to use mastersocket as bt used their pda device to re assign my vm socket (next to router etc) to use with sky tel and fibre.This was rather than charging me to run a new cable 'round,' livingroom which I agreed to.

Is it Skytalk I call to enquire about master socket re location, if not would I loose much by runnning the suggested 10 meter rj11 thought wont be anywhere near 10 more half that approx.

Managing Editor
Post 83 of 165

@Chrisee

Quick san online it seems Sky can replace Master socket not re locate it -possibly Openreach can £130 -not sure if I want such a bill to get 10mb/s more from fibre.

Is it possible to know if I'll. regain some of the lost 10mb/s by running the rj11 -maybe 5-6 meters approx or is it negligible speed gain or loss reduction.

At least the rj11 is certainly inexpensive to run myself

Managing Editor
Post 84 of 165

Maybe I'll try this during Jan 2019

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alida-Systems-10m-ADSL-Cable/dp/B0095FQ5K0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=154533478...

I think  this is most convenient  option as I don't have power socket next  to BT Master socket.

The rj11 cable means I can leave router where it is and run this cable from socket along skirting boards direct to router.

Not a massive job at all maybe 15-30 mins and some nice white tape to hide my cable run.

Should be simple to try connecting cable diagonally across  living room to test connection before permenent run.

Since used Air metre got 7 meters approx  cable run therefore 10meters is safe purchase.

Thanks for all advice should be fun

Sound Designer
Post 85 of 165

Regarding the upgrade just snooping around the manage section on the account and stumbled across  having Sky Fibre Max product added already to manage section which wasn’t there before maybe the upgrade for me will be soon 528F353F-3DFF-436C-B577-869250C4D798.png

Boom Operator
Post 86 of 165

The "amazon choice" one you selected will work fine ....I have a view that this type are a little better ....   https://www.amazon.co.uk/Telephone-Extension-Broadband-RGB-Networks-White/dp/B07CVHYN5W/ref=pd_sbs_1...

It is all to do with type of wire, the way it is twisted and the connector.....but as you say testing it before you hide away the wire is so easy ....so £5 or £11 ....if you get no improvement I would be suprised.  Note: this all assumes your master socket is the pre filtered type with data and phone sockets on the front plate if you are still on the really old master with just a phone connector, assuming it is the master, you might leave well alone.

Richard of Essex
Community Manager
Post 87 of 165

@Donfor wrote:

Quick san online it seems Sky can replace Master socket not re locate it -possibly Openreach can £130 -not sure if I want such a bill to get 10mb/s more from fibre.

A Sky Broadband Tech Team engineer can relocate a master telephone socket (usually for a £65 cost.) You'll need to arrange this with a member of staff who can access your Sky account (contact centre/live chat etc).

There are caveats to be aware of;

• Your phoneline must be on the Sky Network
    • Sky's contact centre team can confirm this for you
  • There are limitations on where the socket can be moved to
    • the engineer will discuss the options with you when they're at your home.

Mark
Community Manager

Managing Editor
Post 88 of 165

@Mark-Br

Ecellent advice for engineer option

though I'm not sure what b.t said about my old school master socket when they used ex VM socket instead

I have single type telephony master socket no data port.

Managing Editor
Post 89 of 165

@Mark-Br

Ecellent advice for engineer option

though I'm not sure what b.t said about my old school master socket when they used ex VM socket instead

I have single type telephony master socket no data port.

Boom Operator
Post 90 of 165

Recommended Threads
20-12-2018 06:54 PM
23-11-2018 06:09 PM
16-11-2018 08:21 PM
oliviaxo 01-10-2018 02:33 PM
11-12-2018 04:38 PM