Go to Answer
Camera Assistant
Post 31 of 360

Re: Free upgrade

here is the full letter sky.jpg

Researcher
Post 32 of 360

Maybe I should have been more specific, my current Sky router sucks, in terms of LAN latency, I have a congested network with a lot of computers, makes it impossible to use my LIFX bulbs to any useful extent, and was hoping the upgrade in speed would be a an excuse for a new router. And even if not, can I pay for one? I will give Sky a call and confirm what the situation is if nobody knows.

Oracle
Post 33 of 360

@bon-bon

If you have a complex LAN then your best at looking for 3rd party solutions and not a Sky router.

Have look at this post: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/06/2018-update-best-vdsl-routers-for-uk-fttc-fibre-broadb...

Managing Editor
Post 34 of 360

Looking forward to upgrade as Blue Ray writer is connected and running.

Maybe I could setup Win10 FTP if required.

Hoping to get some of my DVD and blue ray movies uploaded to Apple 4k t.v library if and when required.

Researcher
Post 35 of 360

As far as I'm aware, after having tested, a 3rd party router can't be used with Sky. I don't really want to go down the route of having a Sky router and another router plugged into the Sky router, so am really looking at Sky for a solution here, whether that be upgrading the hardware as part of this improvement to speed, or something else.

Oracle
Post 36 of 360

@bon-bon

Yes you can, after Sky's recent T&Cs change they now allow you to use any router but just wont provide support if you call them up.

You'll need to get a router thats capable of Sky's MER traffic type, also known as Option 61. 

And then you'll need to input random login details in the correct format which can be obtained quite easily with a simple Google search.

If you read the link I sent you then you'll know what to buy

Researcher
Post 37 of 360

When will I know if I’m getting free upgrade, been on sky fibre for a few years but I am currently out of contract 

Oracle
Post 38 of 360

Sky haven't announced any timescale for letting people know. I'd guess over the next few weeks.

Production Supervisor
Post 39 of 360

@jamesn123 wrote:

@bon-bon

Yes you can, after Sky's recent T&Cs change they now allow you to use any router but just wont provide support if you call them up.

You'll need to get a router thats capable of Sky's MER traffic type, also known as Option 61. 

And then you'll need to input random login details in the correct format which can be obtained quite easily with a simple Google search.

If you read the link I sent you then you'll know what to buy

The draytek range of vdls router can cope easily with MER, Draytke also provide a set-up guide in their support forum.

I have Sky FTTC setup on WAN 2 whith DHCP Options 60 & 61 enabled (SkyQ Hub acts as the Modem, used with Sky Q.  Althougb you can use WAN 1 (VDSL) too, removing the need for the Sky provided router.

Sound Designer
Post 40 of 360

What you can use your own router now? Smiley Happy 

Why do we have to wait two months for the upgrade:/ alreay excited , has ayone got more specific details for this?

Community Manager
Post 41 of 360

@Mike+HD wrote:

When will I know if I’m getting free upgrade

We finished contacting everyone towards the end of last week – mostly via email, so it might be worth checking your spam filter.

There were a number of criteria that determined who was chosen to receive the speed boost. This included the speed a line could handle, as well as space in the green cabinet.

Mark
Community Manager

Researcher
Post 42 of 360

Thank god I never renewed my contract then lol 

Researcher
Post 43 of 360

lm curious why the phone team dont have any of this information, because when questioned they still seem to think customers are still being contacted, so lm somewhat confused given the lack of information.

Sound Designer
Post 44 of 360

Think we are all excited , but best to call in November or December for more information about the Fibre Max upgrade , hopefully they provide more details ✅

Oracle
Post 45 of 360

What extra information  are you hoping for @OGsagex? All those who are going to receive the upgrade will know long before then, as per Mark-BR's post.

Recommended Threads
49 minutes ago 02:17 PM
4 hours ago 11:17 AM
Jaber 5 hours ago 09:55 AM
Oracle 7 hours ago 08:22 AM
Oracle yesterday 10:23 PM