Fibre connection dropping... Any thoughts?

Executive Producer
Post 31 of 117

Re: Fibre connection dropping... Any thoughts?

@Beckster2310

The 2 router stats that you have posted are not even the same line. 1 is an ADSL2+ line to the exchange and the other a VDSL2 line to a cabinet. The routers are not even the same either, please explain your findings and why you think there is a fault on a new thread, please.

Researcher
Post 32 of 117

The 2 images I have posted are taken as screen shots by logging into my sky q hub router so not sure how they can be on different lines or routers? What information makes you think that they are different? Plus I have posted my own thread now as advised thanks 👍

Executive Producer
Post 33 of 117

@Beckster2310

Have posted on the other thread will advise further on that thread. Smiley Happy

Camera Assistant
Post 34 of 117

Just a little update on the issue... I spoke to 2 different advisers today, both telling me that it wouldn't be considered a fault unless the 'line dropped more than 8 times a day' and that is expected for customers IP addresses to change multiple times a day which would drop the connection. I cant really believe the rubbish that is being handed to me

Executive Producer
Post 35 of 117

@jamesn123

How did you tell Sky about errors running on the line with unstable latency as an indicator?

Camera Assistant
Post 36 of 117

@mae-3 I tried to explain the unstable ping tests I had carried out to BBCs servers and I also explained that although my router was synced up at 78mbps there seem to be errors on the line because my actual download speed was only about 69mbps.

However I was just told that my line is not dropping enough to be considered a fault and even though I only get 69mbps down when synced at 78 its still above the minimum so theres no fault there either. 

They offered to send a new router out just incase but would also close the issue as its not considered a fault.

Camera Assistant
Post 37 of 117

Also, I know these tools are not that accurate, however I used the Think broadbands stability tracker overnight yesterday and you can see the dropped packets starting to trickle in just before the line drops which shows something is interfering and killing the line connection

Also proof that its not my IP address changing causing the connection to drop as the IP address has stayed the same even after a line disconnect

2018-06-04 11_10_09-Broadband Quality Monitor _ thinkbroadband.png

Camera Assistant
Post 38 of 117

From the latest stats on the tracker you can see there's something going on in the mornings and evenings thats interferring with the connection. @mae-3 Is it possible the fault is being caused from nearby or inside the property rather than outside on the line?

Edit: If the issue is in the property that may also explain why Sky's systems are showing the line has been up for over a month?

2018-06-05 11_20_16-Broadband Quality Monitor _ thinkbroadband.png

Executive Producer
Post 39 of 117

@jamesn123

Mystified that the previous day's latency graph showed issues overnight before the disconnection. Sky would have seen the line drop even if on your premises. Waiting for the picture to be approved. Are these drops showing up in the recent support activity log?

Camera Assistant
Post 40 of 117

@mae-3

Yes for each packet loss spike the connection dropped and shows in the support log. So referencing the latest screenshot on my last post the connection dropped just after 6am on the 4th and just before 6pm on the 4th.

I'm attaching this mornings graph to this post which shows pretty normal normal service apart from a couple of ping spikes. Line uptime is currently 17hrs.

2018-06-05 11_47_19-Broadband Quality Monitor _ thinkbroadband.png

Executive Producer
Post 41 of 117

@jamesn123

Happy with your connection latency 50% of the time and that shows it's operating correctly. The other 50% of the time it is running errors on the line and dropping the line. I think the reason Sky have not allocated an engineer to the job is it isn't breaching error count per minute whilst they've been monitoring during a line test.

I'd disconnect telephone point plugs locally from the line socket and reconnect plugs to ensure all the connections are good and clean. And are you using microfilters or prefiltered faceplate? If using a prefiltered faceplate, remove it also and reconnect it to clean the connectors that plug into its test socket port. Same goes for the connector into the router.

Camera Assistant
Post 42 of 117

@mae-3

The router is currently connected to a pre-filtered master socket, all other phone extensions in the home have been disconnected by a previous engineer. It's probably worth trying it in the test socket with a microfilter I guess? Its hard to see how there could be any issues with the home wiring though as its just the main socket connected and the socket is only a few months old.

Executive Producer
Post 43 of 117

@jamesn123

It is worth just dropping the prefiltered master off and reconnecting it and all the connectors along the cable path to the router to effectively clean the connections, and that's about it. There is no need to connect it to the master socket test port, in my opinion. And keep monitoring the latency with the BQM.

Camera Assistant
Post 44 of 117

I'll reconnect everything and give it a bit of clean then monitor for another 24-48hrs. Thanks for the continued support

Executive Producer
Post 45 of 117

@jamesn123

Keep that BQM in operation until it's working correctly without latency issues! We are out to prove a fault or a fix Smiley Wink

Recommended Threads
28-05-2018 12:38 PM
11-06-2018 02:59 PM
21-03-2018 12:04 PM
08-03-2018 08:14 PM
13-04-2018 08:19 PM