Discussion topic: Fibre cable installation query

This message was authored by Technik21 This message was authored by: Technik21

Fibre cable installation query

Just a quick question....

I am being upgraded to Ultrafast Fibre (145mbs) from Superfast (59mb)

Openreach are installing a Hybrid fibre cable as opposed to full fibre cable as that is all that's available.

I guess it will be fine anyway for the speeds I'm upgrading to, but if in the future I was to upgrade again to say a 1gbs service, would the hybrid cable restrict the speed, or would the cable need swapping out to a fttp cable?

Thanks all.... 🙂

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Fibre cable installation query

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Technik21 

Could you enter your full postal address below and post the table after removing your address from the image.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Technik21 

I'm not aware of any UK broadband technology involving a 'Hybrid fibre cable'*, but Ultrafast at 145Mbs would suggest G.fast, which is essentially a version of FTTC with a much shorter copper cable run (existing phone cable into the house, but connecting back to a local fibre 'pod').  In the future to get FTTP your address would need a completely new optical cable just as any other would.

*'hybrid fibre cable' to me suggests fibre optic cores plus a copper power bearer, and I don't think that's relevant here.  

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Technik21 

I'm not aware of any UK broadband technology involving a 'Hybrid fibre cable'*, but Ultrafast at 145Mbs would suggest G.fast, which is essentially a version of FTTC with a much shorter copper cable run (existing phone cable into the house, but connecting back to a local fibre 'pod').  In the future to get FTTP your address would need a completely new optical cable just as any other would.

*'hybrid fibre cable' to me suggests fibre optic cores plus a copper power bearer, and I don't think that's relevant here.  

FTTC and G.Fast are now known as "hybrid fibre" to differentiate them from FTTP which is "full fibre".

Topic Author
This message was authored by Technik21 This message was authored by: Technik21

Thanks for the info guys.

Openreach engineer said he didn't need to connect the copper side of the cable, and the cable used is good for up to 900mbs. 

I'm getting around 111mbs dwn and 26mbs up currently, which should improve further apparently once a few days have passed.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Technik21 as you found out in some areas Openreach run a fibre cable which has a copper pair included in the sheath literally a hybrid cable. This means in theory you can have both FTTP service and voice line over copper in practice most isps wont do that and provide a voice service over IP using the fibre connection. Cannot see it can impact the FTTP speeds as you asked.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion