Discussion topic: Exceptionally slow download but ok upload speed

This message was authored by Rich-tommo This message was authored by: Rich-tommo

Exceptionally slow download but ok upload speed

Hi all, had broadband for a year ultra fast 500mb and to be honest it's been fine. Getting approx 200-300mb on Wi-Fi so no issues.

However last few weeks the download speeds seem to drop and I am talking down to next to nothing 1mb - 5mb and sometimes nothing at all. Mini boxes losing connections and dead spots all over the place. However it does seem that the wired connection to my booster at the bottom of the garden works fine still giving me the 200-300mb. But in the main house on Wi-Fi it's awful. 

Have restarted many times, reset router etc etc all the usual and still seems to be an issue.

Hub stats are attached any help would be greatly appreciated before I get in contact to try and get an engineer out.

thanks all

IMG_0400.png

IMG_0399.png

Moderator note: Images removed as personally identifiable information was on display

All Replies

Rich-tommo
Topic Author
This message was authored by Rich-tommo This message was authored by: Rich-tommo

Re: Exceptionally slow download but ok upload speed

Current speed test just taken

IMG_0401.png

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Rich-tommo unfortunately the screens you attached to your first post tell us very little useful the stats that get asked to are accessed from a link at the bottom on the right. However wifi issues are not uncommon especially with networks with Sky Q tv boxes.

In general make sure the hub is not behind or under furniture and is as high as you can get it. Remove any devices that use wireless technology like cordless phones etc from near the hub. The same advice applies to your Q tv boxes especially the minis which people often mount behind TVs which both reduces the signal they receive and the speed the hotspots can deliver.

It is worth looking into improving the connection speed to one or more Q boxes by using an ethernet cable or if that is impractical buying a powerline adapter kit which uses the mains wiring to carry the data. Sky dont recommend powerline as performsnce can vary but they work well in most homes.

If you call Sky and report you are having issues with your Q boxes they will send you a booster or arrange for an engineer to come out. Boosters can help but need to be installed midway between the hub and where you are having issues.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Rich-tommo
Topic Author

Hi chrisee

thanks for your response just for everyone's info the main sky q and one of the minis is connected via Ethernet. 

Do you know what though after spending hours yesterday trying to sort it out and trying different things the main sky q would not load the tv guide so I restarted it and as soon as I did that boom the broadband was back to over 300mb on Wi-Fi and no issues since. Strange that the main sky q can drag down the Wi-Fi when it's connected over Ethernet......

will see how I get on in the coming days thanks for your help

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Rich-tommo Sky Q boxes use a mesh wifi system that can ger screwed by a rogue unit. Simply unplug and reboot is the first thing you should try.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Alfie+King This message was authored by: Alfie+King

So pleased I read through your thread.

This evening our internet was really slow, I tested the speeds and Download was less than 2, yet Upload was 35+

I rebooted the sky hub a few times to no avail, then also noticed the Sky Q Mini boxes were being slow to change channels. 
After reading your comment I rebooted the main Sky Q box and hey presto! The download speed shot straight back up to what they should be and the mini boxes also went back to normal.

Thank You 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion