Ewelink

Answered
Go to Answer
Runner
Post 1 of 19

Ewelink

Hi guys, I was hoping someone could help with a problem i'm having. I have just got the sky q router and a few smart lightbulbs etc. Today I received a Sonoff smart plug which needs to be connected via the eWelink app but when trying to pair the device it tells me it needs a 2.4ghz connection, not 5ghz but i was under the impression that the router did both. Any help on how I could pair these would be much appreciated.

Matt

Answer

Best Answers
Answer
Runner
Post 6 of 19

Re: Ewelink

I worked out something similar to what James suggested, I unsynchronised 5ghz and 2.4ghz and turned off 5ghz. I then connected ewelink with no problems, I then synchronised them back together and the socket stayed connected. Happy days 

All Replies
Oracle
Post 2 of 19

The Q router does do both, if it is failing to connect then you may need to split the WiFi bands however it should work without doing that. I've seen a few posts on here of people unable to connect smart plugs and its usually turned out that they were faulty. It may be worth checking that

Researcher
Post 3 of 19

Hi,

I have the same problem; I cannot connect my Sonoff switches to wifi because they only work on 2.4GHz. During the setup process of the Sonoff it tells me it only works on 2.4GHz so it only sees the 5GHz signal.

Is there any way to completely shut down or disable the 5GHz signal? I was able to do this no problem with my UPC router.

Regards

Dermot

Oracle
Post 4 of 19

@Singida

To disable 5GHz do the following;

-Go to your hub at 192.168.0.1

-Login with the username admin & password as sky

-Navigate to Wireless > 5Ghz

-Untick 'Synchronise 2.4GHz and 5GHz settings', 'Enable Wireless Access Point' and 'Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID)'

This should disable 5GHz. Bare in mind though that doing this means you may lose speed on your network as newer devices prefer the 5GHz band.

The better thing to do would be to just split the channels which can be done by going to the same menu that I mentioned above however you should just untick 'Synchronise 2.4GHZ & 5GHz settings' and then in the 'Name (SSID) box add -5G to the end of the name that is already in there.

Although again bare in mind that doing any of the above many disrupt the connection of any Sky Q TV boxes you may or may not have

Executive Producer
Post 5 of 19

WIth wireless, when manufacturers state it needs 2.4Ghz only its nonsense. A 2.4Ghz wireless chip will only see the 2.4Ghz band in a dual-band wireless router, connectivity issues are usually caused by wireless radio mode.

The reason for difficulties is that the client wireless device only supports the radio wireless mode that is 802.11b standard wireless. The Sky Q router does not support the 802.11b mode.

The only solution is purchasing a cheap wireless 2.4Ghz access point with 802.11b support, and that is the recommended solution for it will not completely grind the wireless network to a halt with Sky Q. Also, it isn't very friendly to use 802.11b wireless with nearby wireless networks on the same channel. 

Answer
Runner
Post 6 of 19

I worked out something similar to what James suggested, I unsynchronised 5ghz and 2.4ghz and turned off 5ghz. I then connected ewelink with no problems, I then synchronised them back together and the socket stayed connected. Happy days 

Executive Producer
Post 7 of 19

@MattyD119

Does it affect the speed of the 2.4Ghz wireless network slowing it down to around 5-7 Mbps?

Runner
Post 8 of 19

I'm not that into technology so have no idea. If you tell me how to check I can do that for you? 

Executive Producer
Post 9 of 19

@MattyD119

Don't worry if your wireless network is operating good enough for you on the 2.4Ghz band under 802.11b it isn't important, apart for the unfriendliness to nearby wireless networks on 2.4Ghz.

The solution you have suggested is excellent for I  wasn't aware that Sky Q could support 802.11b, but it does seem to when breaking the mesh and reconnecting everything together again. Smiley Happy

Oracle
Post 10 of 19

@mae-3

I think the Q hub is fully 802.11b/g/n compatible

I would agree with you that the whole splitting thing should be nonsense however it seems to be the solution to most people's issues 

Executive Producer
Post 11 of 19

@jamesn123

It does seem to be with a scale that was 802.11b I found it would not work, but didn't go to the extent of what @MattyD119 has suggested.

And it should be 802.11b/g/n/ac compatible it says so on the Sky Q router interface, but it's likely a bug with controlling the radio mode in the chip, maybe?

Researcher
Post 12 of 19

Thanks everybody for all the helpful suggestions. I'm afraid I still wasn't successful. Interestingly, I also tried connecting two different ESP8266 modules to the wifi with no success either. They also used to work with my UPC router so I think it's definitely a router issue rather than faulty Sonoff or ESP's.

Anyway, I'll keep at it and if I find a solution I'll post it here.

Thanks again everybody.

Dermot

Researcher
Post 13 of 19

Here's my update on my problems with Ewelink that I promised back in August.

When I disable the 5GHz channel I can connect my Ewelink devices and my wifi security camera no problem.

However after a few hours or even up to a day sometimes I lose the signal to my Q box. I then have to reconnect my Q box and everything works ok again for a while.

I now have several devices that are in fact unusable because of the Sky router so I have such a pain in the **** with it that I am going back to Virgin Media when my year with Sky is up.

Oracle
Post 14 of 19

@Singida The issue with your Q box is it is designed to use the 5GHz band to communicate. You have turned it off the accommodate your camera system so not surprisingly you get problems. The answer is to turn on the 5GHz band which should not affect your smart plugs at all. 

It is also possible that you have interference on the 2.4GHz band from your neighbours try changing the channel to find a quieter one

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Researcher
Post 15 of 19

Thanks for your reply Chrisee. I've tried to install my camera and eweelink devices with 5GHz turned on but the installation programs sense the 5GHz and won't let me. I disable the 5GHz and the devices work fine. Unfortunately then my Sky Q box and Q mini box become unstable and disconnect.

So then i installed the devices with 5GHz disabled and when the installation was successful I enabled the 5GHz but again the devices only worked for a while before contact was lost.

I think it may be because of my setup where I have a Q minibox as well for an upstairs bedroom.

All devices are quite near the wifi hub and all worked fine with the Virgin wifi hub.

A lot of people have wifi cameras that only work on 2.4GHz so they must have problems as well but I don't see anything about their problems here in the forum.

So unless Sky come up with a solution I'm moving when my one year subscription ends.

Recommended Threads
21-08-2018 12:59 PM