Discussion topic: Email Notification of Full Fibre Availability, but Upgrade not an option on sky.com

This message was authored by RonGd This message was authored by: RonGd

Email Notification of Full Fibre Availability, but Upgrade not an option on sky.com

Hello,

I received an email from Sky last month notifying me that Full Fibre was now available at my address; a check on Openreach's website has confirmed this, and other providers have confirmed that Full Fibre deals are available from them at this address. However when I select "Upgrade your Package" on the Sky website, I'm told that we're already on the fastest broadband at our address. We're on Standard, and getting barely 5Mbps on a good day. Our contract's up for renewal next month, so it would be good to know which of these messages is true and why there might be a contradiction before a decision is made to possibly switch.

Thanks

Best Answers
RonGd
Topic Author
This message was authored by RonGd This message was authored by: RonGd Answer

Re: Email Notification of Full Fibre Availability, but Upgrade not an option on sky.com

It's been a while but finally we have an answer. An engineer visit in July hadn't been flagged as completed on their system, and this was blocking any amendments to our broadband package as it still had an outstanding order. So if you find yourself in this scenario go to Orders & Visits in your sky.com account and check if there are any orders or visits that haven't been marked as Completed. If so, give Sky a call and point this out. They can't fix this on the spot, they need to pass it on to another team, but if you keep checking in on the Orders & Visits, once it's completed you should be able to upgrade. It's also worth confirming it is actually available at your address by going on sky.com or calling, and pretending to be a new customer who's just moved in.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Email Notification of Full Fibre Availability, but Upgrade not an option on sky.com

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@RonGd 

Sky tend to be slower by 2-4 weeks in getting their database updated

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by stegarkickit This message was authored by: stegarkickit

I have this exact same issue though my existing speed is around 60mb. Ive tried emailing, calling & live chat and the closest ive got to any sense is that skys system shows that fttp would provide a slower speed. 

My frustration is that neighbours with other suppliers have been upgrading their broadband to ridiculous speeds. 

From what I've read I suspect Sky don't want to cover the cost of replacing the telephone line the properties of existing customers as I believe that's required in some cases.  I've checked broadband speed availability on skys website without logging in and they can offer much faster speeds if I were a new customer. Pretty disgusting really

I've also read on this forum that the number of Sky Q mini boxes you have can prevent them from moving you to fibre but I've no idea why that would be the case. 

Either way, I'll be off to a different supplier in January when my contract expires 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@stegarkickit wrote:

I have this exact same issue though my existing speed is around 60mb. Ive tried emailing, calling & live chat and the closest ive got to any sense is that skys system shows that fttp would provide a slower speed. 

Given the minimum FTTP speed band is 100Mbs, that makes no sense either.

My frustration is that neighbours with other suppliers have been upgrading their broadband to ridiculous speeds. 

1Gbs from most Openreach ISPs, 1.8Gbs from EE

From what I've read I suspect Sky don't want to cover the cost of replacing the telephone line the properties of existing customers as I believe that's required in some cases.  

Sky and other Openreach ISPs don't do so.  Openreach has a budget of  c£1800 per property for the national FTTP rollout: it's beyond that cost where the householder is expected to contribute.  The cost to an ISP for a new optical circuit is around £100.

I've checked broadband speed availability on skys website without logging in and they can offer much faster speeds if I were a new customer. Pretty disgusting really

Which would suggest a sales system glitch.  Why wouldn't Sky want to sign you up for a new minimum term?

I've also read on this forum that the number of Sky Q mini boxes you have can prevent them from moving you to fibre but I've no idea why that would be the case. 

The total number of Q boxes and Q boosters is the determining factor in whether Sky will supply a Max Hub, and that's now the default hardware for Ultrafast from Sky.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by stegarkickit This message was authored by: stegarkickit

@TimmyBGood 

Thanks for explaining all that. From what youve said, i think my issue is the number of sky q mini boxes i have (3 in total).

Having looked into it, the Max Hub can only support 1 mini box and so it's likely thats the reason why they wont let me upgrade i think. 

I'll have to give them another call with a view to returning a couple of the boxes that are hardly used

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@stegarkickit wrote:

From what youve said, i think my issue is the number of sky q mini boxes i have (3 in total).

I think that would be correct, yes.  We've suggested Sky puts a rather more useful message in the online order path in these circumstances: it also affects the telephone support people who tend to advise 'Max isn't available in your area' which is equally incorrect.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
RonGd
Topic Author
This message was authored by RonGd This message was authored by: RonGd Answer

It's been a while but finally we have an answer. An engineer visit in July hadn't been flagged as completed on their system, and this was blocking any amendments to our broadband package as it still had an outstanding order. So if you find yourself in this scenario go to Orders & Visits in your sky.com account and check if there are any orders or visits that haven't been marked as Completed. If so, give Sky a call and point this out. They can't fix this on the spot, they need to pass it on to another team, but if you keep checking in on the Orders & Visits, once it's completed you should be able to upgrade. It's also worth confirming it is actually available at your address by going on sky.com or calling, and pretending to be a new customer who's just moved in.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion