Discussion topic: Draytek 2765 modem/router as replacement for Sky ER115

This message was authored by No2ID This message was authored by: No2ID

Draytek 2765 modem/router as replacement for Sky ER115

This is just an informational post for those thinking of replacing their Sky router for something more capable and/or professional.

TL;DR: The Draytek 2765 works perfectly after being configured correctly for Sky MER

After my old TP-Link VR900 failed last year I was stuck again with the awful ER115.  Rather than going for another consumer router I decided to go for an enterprise grade device as i want to segment my network by tagged VLANS.  

Rather than a separate Sky(MER) setting you have to configure it from first principles.  Though there are some helpful notes on the Draytek web site.    As with consumer routers than support MER, you can get away with "dummy@skydsl|dummy" for the ID & password string you pass in Option 61.  No need to wireshark the ID password, though I did do it just to be on the safe side. 

I have prodcued my own little guide with screen shots and detailed instructions for doing so as the Draytek instruictions were for a more advanced model and did not map over that well to the 2765.  Happy to let anyone has a copy if they message me. 

This is a professional device so setting it up does take some effort and patience.  But unlike consumer routers the functionality all works.  TP-Link are notorious for putting in "advanced features" such as network separation and VLAN which simply do not function properly.  This works.  As always I would recommend doing a port scan on the default firewall settings.  Strangely the default settings on the 2765 left 443 open, which I closed propmptly. 

I use the 2765 with a Ubiquity Unifi WiFi access port as Draytek's WiFi models do not have a good reputation and  the Unifi range supports 802.1q VLANs.  The base 2765 does not have WiFi and is cheaper than many consumer routers.

I use this in a FTTC environment but it supports FTTP through its WAN port, assuming that Sky/Openreach installs a separate modem.  The NAT is capped at 700 Mbits but it's going to a while before the fossil infrastructure in the UK makes gigabit fibre widely available.  There is a model that has a VOIP port but probably would not work with any Sky implementation.  Doesn't matter to me as I would not touch VOIP with a bargepole and will go land line free once it is forced upon us.

Hope that's been of help to people deciding on a replacement for a Sky router.

Draytek.Unifi set upDraytek.Unifi set up

All Replies

This message was authored by JBizzlePDizzle This message was authored by: JBizzlePDizzle

Re: Draytek 2765 modem/router as replacement for Sky ER115

Hi @No2ID  any chance of a copy of that userguide? Trying to setup a Draytek Vigor 2925 as the modem to *Try* a Wan-Wan VPN connection to the house systems! Thanks Kindly JBPD

This message was authored by ChrisRel This message was authored by: ChrisRel

Hi

I am also looking to do the exact same set-up but struggled with the Draytek guides.  Please can you share your guide?

Much appreciated

No2ID
Topic Author

Sebd me a PM and I will send you the link

Thanks for the guide, will be trying shortly. @No2ID 

This message was authored by Jasric89 This message was authored by: Jasric89

Hey could I get a copy of that walkthrough please I'm having no ends of problems with Sky right now and I've just bought a draytek vigor2765 would like to get this setup. 

No2ID
Topic Author

Hi @Jasric89 send you a link via messenger.  Let me know how you get on

Hi

Just wanted to add that the guide worked perfectly, thanks @No2ID .

Yes thanks the guide worked for me too. All sorted now and getting better speeds too!!

No2ID
Topic Author

@Jasric89Thanks for letting me know.  Good to hear about bwetter speeds as well.  I like Draytek kit.  As a professional software guy I think it is a good mid way point between consumer routers and the expensive Cisco ecosystem which is overkill for anything less than enterprise solutions. 

This message was authored by Danfos This message was authored by: Danfos

Just about to set this up, please could I get a copy of the guide to assist?

Thanks

No2ID
Topic Author

@Danfos, I have sent you think.  Please let me know how you get on

This message was authored by alsunm This message was authored by: alsunm

Could you please send me the userguide for connecting a Draytek (I have a 2865ac, which is very clos to yours) to theSKY/ Nowtv service.  Im on Nowtv with hub2, but hope I can use that guide with my own connection.

Thanks 

Have sent you a message with the link to the guide. Happy Setting up 🙂

This message was authored by thu465 This message was authored by: thu465

Could you please send me the user guide for connecting a Draytek (I have a 2865ac, which is very close to yours) to the SKY/ Nowtv service.   but hopefully I can use that guide with my own connection.

many thanks 

@No2ID 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion