Discussion topic: Digital Phones compatibility

This message was authored by BDS This message was authored by: BDS

Digital Phones compatibility

Hi, I had my new Sky broadband service connected yesterday however I was unable to link my existing BT digital voice landline handsets to the new router.

The handsets do not have a traditional phone connection but simply connect to a power source.

I tried to link ('register') the handsets to the hub by following the on screen instructions (i.e. press the WPS button for 2 secs) however this didn't work.

Does anyone know if these BT handsets are simply not compatible with a Sky router, in which case i guess I'd have to buy new handsets,  one of which would have to physically connect to the router.

Thanks 

Best Answers
This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder Answer

Re: Digital Phones compatibility

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@BDS  Those handsets from BT do not work with the Sky router. You would have to buy a normal phone that is DECT to use as your landline phone with Sky.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder Answer

@BDS  Those handsets from BT do not work with the Sky router. You would have to buy a normal phone that is DECT to use as your landline phone with Sky.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@BDS wrote:

Does anyone know if these BT handsets are simply not compatible with a Sky router, in which case i guess I'd have to buy new handsets,  one of which would have to physically connect to the router.

BT chose to make its Digital Voice handsets to be compatible only with its own broadband and Hub: this is because of all the ISPs only BT actually manufactures phones (as it has for over a century). Routers from Sky and other ISPs use generic analogue handsets or DECT hardware, and not 'VOIP' or 'WiFi' units.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion