Discussion topic: Could my Sky router be randomly blocking apps?

This message was authored by Scruffy+Monkey This message was authored by: Scruffy+Monkey

Could my Sky router be randomly blocking apps?

Hi, I have been having this problem now since mid Sept, the problem being the app I use to monitor my solar panel setup randomly doesn't work. I have the app on iphones, a mac and a web based site, and they all conk out at the same time. I first thought it was the Solar inverter, but have had that replaced, but the problem persists, could my Sky router be somehow blocking the inverter? 

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Could my Sky router be randomly blocking apps?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Scruffy+Monkey 

Are you accessing the solar system locally or via the internet? E.g. Does the app/site connect directly to the controller locally or use a internet based service provided by the solar systems manufacturer as a middle man?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Scruffy+Monkey
Topic Author
This message was authored by Scruffy+Monkey This message was authored by: Scruffy+Monkey

The Inverter connects to my router via wifi and then sends the data to the apps, so I can access them anywhere. It worked faultlessly up until a few months ago, I've just had the inverter changed under warranty , but now starting to wonder if the router maybe at fault.

@Scruffy+Monkey 

Okay you say it can be accessed anywhere... When the system stops working at home are you still able to access it on the app via mobile data or does it stop working completely no matter where you are?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Scruffy+Monkey
Topic Author

Hi, and thanks for your help.

Yes, if it stops working ,all devices whether conected to my network or away from the house via mobile data stop working. As far as I'm aware, there hasn't been any enviromental changes to the equipment, ie postioning in the house etc. The only changes have been several updates to the app as per normal. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Scruffy+Monkey is the invertor showing on the list of devices connected to the hub if you type 192.168.0.1 into a browser? It would help to know the make and model of the invertor. 

Some of these units can loose connection in which case you need to reconnect them which often involves using your phone to connect to the wifi SSID the disconnected invertor should output then using the app to send the connection details for the Sky hub to the invertor. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Scruffy+Monkey
Topic Author

The inverter is Huawei Sun2000. It is disconnecting, but is there any reason or chance that it is the router that is the cause of this? I can look again ten minutes later and the app is working fine, with no intervention from myself. 

This message was authored by cuke This message was authored by: cuke

It's probably the Chinese snooping around your network 😉

If it's just that one app then try contacting their, or the hardware suppliers, support as well..

Scruffy+Monkey
Topic Author

I have contacted the Huawei, it took a couple of months for them to send me a new inverter at great expense to themselves. 

Okay, it's maybe not my Sky router, what does the hive mind suggest? The system worked fine for 18 months or so, nothing has changed in the positioning of either the router or inverter, nor is there any other electrical equipment installed near the two. There have been several updates to the app, none of which have improved or made worse the situation, and the web based monitoring site remains the same.

Scruffy+Monkey
Topic Author

If the router is blocking the inverter, why would it be intermittent? Is there anything in the protocols of the router that would lead to intermittent blocking of ports? and why?

I accept this maybe beyond the bounds of this community, if so, who do you suggest I speak to at Sky?

@Scruffy+Monkey 

Is it connected via ethernet? If so have you changed out the cable with a good quality Cat5e cable?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Scruffy+Monkey
Topic Author

No, Wifi. As previously mentioned, it worked fine for 18 months then started playing up around the end of August. 

Is anyone aware of any router firmware updates at that point?

@Scruffy+Monkey 

Sky push firmware updates out all the time so theres been quite a few since then I suspect.

Can you post your router stats?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Scruffy+Monkey
Topic Author

ScruffyMonkey_0-1701177557570.png

@Scruffy+Monkey 

So no loss of WiFi radios & no collision packets. Its hard to be able to blame the Sky hub on this one it really does seem to be an issue with your inverter.

One final thing I can suggest is unplugging your Sky hub for an hour to get a new public IP. There is possibility your current public IP is causing connectivity issues to the inverters cloud services.

I am NOT a Sky Employee

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion