Discussion topic: Connection Of Sky Broadband Boosters

This message was authored by jghomer This message was authored by: jghomer

Connection Of Sky Broadband Boosters

We are having lots of issues with connectivity to a sky mini box that is furthest from the hub.  TV freezing, apps freezing, and so on.

Sky gave us a booster, which made little difference, and I have also bought a 2nd booster.

I've been experimenting moving them around, and it is still very much a work-in-progress.

To my question.....

When Sky devices (either main box, mini's, or boosters) are setup using wps it asks you to press the wps button on the nearest device - makes sense.  Does that mean that the device in question is only then connected to the system through that device, or does pressing the wps button on the nearest device also connect to all other devices in the system?  So for instance if you had setup up a mini-box by connecting to the nearest booster, and then you swapped that booster with another one, would the mini-box only be able to talk to the original one, or would it establish connection with the nearest node.  I hope my query makes sense and hope someone has some thoughts on it 🙂 

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Connection Of Sky Broadband Boosters

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@jghomer 

WiFi Protected Setup is a key exchange between a pair of devices (the ones with the buttons pressed).  It doesn't configure a mesh, and indeed pre-dates mesh technology.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Connection Of Sky Broadband Boosters

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@jghomer 

WiFi Protected Setup is a key exchange between a pair of devices (the ones with the buttons pressed).  It doesn't configure a mesh, and indeed pre-dates mesh technology.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion