Discussion topic: Connecting to VPN kicks Sky Q main box offline

This message was authored by SamWard1991 This message was authored by: SamWard1991

Connecting to VPN kicks Sky Q main box offline

Hi,

I am having huge issues with my main box.

Whenever I connect (or disconnect) my work VPN my Sky Q 2TB main box seems to loose connection to wifi. I've noticed that this seems to be a trigger but I seem to have constant issues with my main box - it has always been temperamental even though the router is in the same room... about 4/5m apart. I've had 5 engineers out, no one seems to be able to help. They've replaced my router and my main box twice, each!!  I can almost touch both devices so there is no physical obstruction  (but cannot run an Ethernet cable across the room - not that I should need to!)

Every other device is unaffected.

I've ruled out interference, switching potential conflicts to another channel (1,6, or 11). I've forced the 2TB off of 5Ghz, then tried exclusively 2.4Ghz - nothing works. I tried fixing IP at a higher number to avoid potential overlaps. I'm at a loss.

I've lost count of the amount of time I have spent resetting the Sky Q main box connection to the router. It's about 3 times a day.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have a sky router, one main box, one booster, one mini box. I have SonosNet and Chimo Pro running but have ruled these out as potential interference as above and switching them off completely- the issues remain.

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Connecting to VPN kicks Sky Q main box offline

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SamWard1991 I cannot think of any obvious cause but given this has defeated multiple engineers that is not too surprising. What device are you using to connect to your business VPN and how is that networked? What speed does you hub deliver? It would probably help to know the vpn software  your company uses.

One possibility is if your work connection is using the bulk of the bandwidth the Q box will have issues with downloads but it should not lose its network connection just downloads will crawl. Of course Q main boxes can be used with nominternet connection as the satellite tuners and recordings will still work. What error message does the TV box give? 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
SamWard1991
Topic Author
This message was authored by SamWard1991 This message was authored by: SamWard1991

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply.   The main box simply displays a message that says something like 'this box isn't connected to the internet...', you can't see any of the home page content, apps, on demand etc. then if you go into settings > network there is an x against network connection. Interestingly, once the box runs a check cycle I will get a tick against connection to broadband hub, but an x against connection to the internet.

To be honest the engineers weren't much help, they just performed the same checks I had and reset everything. Granted I got back online but anywhere from 1-12hrs it would be gone again. Then they send a 'senior' engineer who suggested there might be a line issue but that wouldn't explain why everything else stays online (although iPhones for example occasionally experiences 10 seconds short drop outs, which i assume is the device switching to a different mesh node, but nothing like the main box which is stationary!)

the work VPN is FortiClient - Zero Trust Telemetry.

SamWard1991
Topic Author

...sorry line speed is 25mb to the router, then about 18mb if I test

SamWard1991
Topic Author

this just happened  for no apparent reason 

35672E8A-FEF5-4F38-A8D6-06081187E544.jpeg

FE89922C-05A0-4C12-B692-B5617E86B415.jpeg

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@SamWard1991 

What VPN system do you use for work? Is it client based that joins your network to the company network? Perhaps there is an IP conflict. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
SamWard1991
Topic Author

Hi James, 

It's FortiClient - Zero Trust Telemetry.    I've read about IP conflicts online, but as far as I can tell the VPN is different (unless the one I am seeing is the business side), it starts with 172.25... I understand Sky to be 192.168.etc. 

I am not sure how the VPN works I am afraid, I need to be able to access the network drives, licences, etc. 

@SamWard1991 

Yeah okay so different IP space, it shouldnt be an issue.

Are you sure the VPN directly causes the problems on the Sky Q box and its not just a coincidence?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
SamWard1991
Topic Author

Honestly, it could be a coincidence, but I am almost positive its just one of a million things making this an awful experience!!  I  require the VPN everyday and I have dropouts at multiple points every day and night (with VPN on or off)  so hard to tell. I just noticed a few times if I connect VPN and kids are on YouTube etc, they'll complain about 5 mins after VPN is on, so thought it might be a 'trigger'.  If I leave VPN off altogether I still get dropouts each morning regardless. 

For example, working fine last night, then it dropped when I took the above pictures,  went to bed, reconnected this AM all fine, thought I'd check and this is the current status:

The router and Sky Q are int he same bloody room!!  I'm connected fine on this iPad less than a meter away from the TV. 
😤

39322855-E4D2-49AD-BB1B-944175DFFC2D.jpeg

@SamWard1991 

Any chance you'd be able to connect the Q box to the hub via ethernet? This will tell you whether the issue is just poor WiFi or a clash on the hub

I am NOT a Sky Employee
SamWard1991
Topic Author

If it is temporary, probably... but I would need to buy a ~5m cable and negotiate with the wife why a cable now runs across the room 😁

I cant understand why poor WiFi would be an issue given how close the devises are?

@SamWard1991 

Its a difficult one really, doesnt matter how close devices are they can get interference or just drop off if the router is having a mare.

I guess the steps I would follow would be

- Change the WiFi channel on the hub to something more clear. A WiFi analyser app on your phone will help with this

- Get a replacement router from Sky if it keeps playing up

- Try ethernet to the Sky Q box (You could also use powerline if you dont want a cable trailing across the floor) 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
SamWard1991
Topic Author

Okay so Wi-Fi channels are all separated anyway from the SonosNet.   I have spoken to my neighbour who has Sky Q and he is on Auto, but it tells him he is on a channel not overlapping my own.   

I've manually assigned IPs to the Sky Q and mini boxes.   The 2TB box was back on line again (haven't touched it since I posted the pic above), so lets hope the new IP keeps it that way.

Honestly the whole thing has been a right pain in the ar*e!!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion