Discussion topic: Connecting sky broadband without landline

This message was authored by Milly71 This message was authored by: Milly71

Connecting sky broadband without landline

I've just decided to go with Sky broadband only after virgin got too expensive.   Received hub which is due for activation next week.  However, although I have a BT telephone socket in my house , I don't rent a landline anymore , my BT account was disconnected as I wasn't using it.  Does this mean I won't be able to connect the sky broadband?    

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Connecting sky broadband without landline

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Milly71 

If you opted for the sky pay as you talk tariff and don't use a phone you will not be charged for phonecalls and as line rental is a thing of the past you won't pay that either

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
Milly71
Topic Author

Hi cookie

It's just 'Sky broadband & talk'.   I only want the broadband.  So basically have I got to connect the hub to the old bt phone socket port to get the broadband ? 

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Milly71 

@Milly71 wrote:

Hi cookie

It's just 'Sky broadband & talk'.   I only want the broadband.  So basically have I got to connect the hub to the old bt phone socket port to get the broadband ? 

Hard to say without knowing what is available in your area

If your are superfast fttc then you should have a prefiltered mastersocket with a port for the phone and one for the broadband or you will need a microfilter if the bt socket only has one telephone socket

Or

If you are getting ultrafast fttp openreach will install an ont

nokia_ONT_fttp_openreach.jpg

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

@Milly71 

P.S. even if you don't want a phone the broadband and phone signals still need to be seperated

Milly71
Topic Author

😅Erm I think I'm more confused than ever.  What I'm trying to say is I don't have an 'active ' landline.   Yes there is a BT socket in my home but I had my landline rental deactivated three years ago as I just use my mobile.  So does that mean when I connect the sky broadband hub to the phone socket that it won't work? 

@Milly71 

Could you enter your full postal address below and post the table and notes below after removing your address from the image 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Milly71 Sky use the network now operated by Openreach who are part of the BT group. Unless you have Openreach fibre in your road you will use a copper phoneline to deliver broadband. The Sky hub will conect to the phone socket assuming it is still connected if it isnt Openreach will run a new line there is no cost to you.

That line can carry both voice and data and these days the cost of the line rental is included in the cost of the broadband. So while there will be a phone service available if you want it but you only pay if you make calls or buy a call,package. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Milly71 wrote:

What I'm trying to say is I don't have an 'active ' landline.   Yes there is a BT socket in my home but I had my landline rental deactivated three years ago as I just use my mobile. 

A phone line to an address isn't physically 'cut' just because a particular resident isn't paying to use it: if the cable and master socket still exists then they can be used subsequently by an ISP to supply FTTC broadband (and the 'line rental' will be included in the monthly broadband subscription payment)

If there's actually no line and/or socket and an order is placed for FTTC then reinstating or installing the physical infrastructure required is part of the process, and booked by the ISP for Openreach to carry out. 

As noted above, where a property is in an area with FTTP infrastructure then a new optical circuit will be put in place and any current copper line becomes obsolete.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

However @TimmyBGood the ever helpful engineers from Virgin Media have been known to remove "surplus" Openreach cables when installing their "improved" network and omitting to tell anyone.😀

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by maria023 This message was authored by: maria023

@cookiemonsteruk I know this thread was from a while ago, but have exactly the same question as Milly71 - here is the screenshot of the table and notes from the broadbandchecker website based on my address - I guess I am wondering if I need to go buy a landline phone (that I am never going to use to talk on) just for the purpose of plugging it into the UK port per the instructions, or if that is unnecessary if I am not planning a use a landline phone. Thank you for your help!

Screen Shot 2023-11-26 at 11.10.27 PM.png

This message was authored by mormegil This message was authored by: mormegil

If you are never going to use a handset to make calls then there is no need to go out and buy a handset to collect dust

@Milly71 your new service will be delivered over a copper line and it looks like you will get near the maximum speed of 80Mb/s if you buy Superfast or even 150Mb/s if you buy an Ultrafast serivice you must be very close to the cabinet.As yet you do not have the option of full fibre at uour address.

The one reason to buy a cheap landline phone would be it gives free calls to Sky if you need support by dialling 150. A good percentage of Sky Broadband customers dont have a phone connected and it causes them no problem.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion