Discussion topic: Changing Sky Hub to different router/modem

This message was authored by Gregadethhh This message was authored by: Gregadethhh

Changing Sky Hub to different router/modem

The WiFi signal from my Sky Hub is atrocious, averaging 4-16mbps! My connection is 500mbps and have no issues with ethernet connections just WiFi. I have a WiFi extender upstairs and get 447mbps when I connect to that. Can I just replace my Sky Hub modem entirely with a third party one?

Was looking at a TP-Link AX1800, I'm aware Sky don't use PPoE but MER and it seems to be compatible, I don't want to use the Sky Hub as a modem then have a separate router I'd rather just replace it.

Is there any issues with this? Sky won't throttle my connection would they? 

Best Answers
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

Re: Changing Sky Hub to different router/modem

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Gregadethhh 

If your speed this is the fibre optic modem ont

nokia_ONT_fttp_openreach.jpg

So any hub with a vdsl modem the modem is redundant. You may have to authenticate as shown below

1. Connect the network cable from the FTTP wall box to port 4 (labelled LAN/WAN)

2. Login to the router and click advanced at the top.

3. Click Operating Mode and change to "Wireless Router Mode" press "Save"

4. Once ready, while on the "Advanced" setting again, go to "Network" -> "Internet"

5. You will see an empty table, click "Add" in the top right above said table

6. Change Internet Connection Type to "Dynamic IP"

7. Ensure IPv4 remains ticked.

8. Tick IPv6 (wont be selected at the moment)

9. Do not clone mac

10. Press Save

11. Wait, it can take a minute or two but should eventually show connected.

12. Enjoy a better wireless experience

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Gregadethhh 

The tp link you mentioned does not authenticate via sky mer dhcp option 61 but it may authenticate via dhcpv6 prefix delegation

The routers that consistantly work on dhcp option 61 and prefix delegation are the asus rt ax series of wifi 6 routers

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

Gregadethhh
Topic Author
This message was authored by Gregadethhh This message was authored by: Gregadethhh

I ordered a TP-Link AC2100 modem router, it has VDSL and from what I can see supports the necessary protocols for Sky as there are reports/reviews of it working! Hopefully this won't affect me via any throttling on Sky's part

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

@Gregadethhh 

If your speed this is the fibre optic modem ont

nokia_ONT_fttp_openreach.jpg

So any hub with a vdsl modem the modem is redundant. You may have to authenticate as shown below

1. Connect the network cable from the FTTP wall box to port 4 (labelled LAN/WAN)

2. Login to the router and click advanced at the top.

3. Click Operating Mode and change to "Wireless Router Mode" press "Save"

4. Once ready, while on the "Advanced" setting again, go to "Network" -> "Internet"

5. You will see an empty table, click "Add" in the top right above said table

6. Change Internet Connection Type to "Dynamic IP"

7. Ensure IPv4 remains ticked.

8. Tick IPv6 (wont be selected at the moment)

9. Do not clone mac

10. Press Save

11. Wait, it can take a minute or two but should eventually show connected.

12. Enjoy a better wireless experience

Gregadethhh
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk 

Archer_VR2100_overview_02_large_1579659654106k

so if I understand correctly, ethernet from my fibre optic open reach modem to the LAN/WAN port (furthest right in the above image) then configure accordingly? Apologies for the questions last time I had a 3rd party router was back when ADSL first came out! 

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Gregadethhh 

Correct. Those instructions came from another who posted their solution. Any further issues get back to us

Gregadethhh
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk 

You sir are a life saver! Thank you, I'll report back tonight once Amazon have delivered the router and I've set it up.

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@cookiemonsteruk wrote:

@Gregadethhh 

Correct. Those instructions came from another who posted their solution. Any further issues get back to us

It was an hallelujah  moment 😄

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
Gregadethhh
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk 

worked like a treat and took minutes to setup! Just got the pain of logging all WiFi devices to it now haha thank you so much

@Gregadethhh 

Fantastic 😁👍I new i put that little nugget of info in my templates for a reason. Thanks for getting back to us

@Skull+Treaty whoop whoop it does work 👍

Gregadethhh
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk 

My WiFi extender upstairs automatically setup a mesh network is this preferred or should I disable it?

@Gregadethhh 

What make and model of extenders. Normally they don't well as they tend to broadcast a different ssid to the main router and therefore can interfere.  At the minute if it works keep an eye on it to see if there are any conflicts

Gregadethhh
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk 

It's a TP Link RE220 so same brand as my router. It did the OneMesh by itself so didn't do the usual SSID_5GEXT etc so I'm assuming they're compatible

@Gregadethhh 

If it sets up automatically via onemesh then defo keep it on. They replicate the main tp link ssid

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@cookiemonsteruk wrote:

@Gregadethhh 

If it sets up automatically via onemesh then defo keep it on. They replicate the main tp link ssid

Indeed and a similar set-up in this house! 

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion