Discussion topic: Can the NG Orbi 970 router replace the Sky Max hub?

This message was authored by Gerard_N This message was authored by: Gerard_N

Can the NG Orbi 970 router replace the Sky Max hub?

Hi all,

I have the Sky gigafast fttp connnection, with poor WiFi signal throughout the house (its a large very old building with thick brick walls).

I was about to order the new Netgear Orbi 970 mesh system, intending to replace the sky hub with the Orbi router. 

Appreciate if somebody could confirm this system supports DHCP option 61, and will work with sky broadband (without the hub). The netgear page of routers supporting DHCP option 61 hasn't been updated since 2021.

Cheers,

Gerard

Best Answers
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

Re: Can the NG Orbi 970 router replace the Sky Max hub?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Gerard_N 

According to their own blurb

• Orbi works with any internet service provider. The Orbi app makes it a breeze to set up and manage your WiFi

In fact all orbis at 850 upwards do appear to work with dhcp option 61 client identifier.  You can also check out asus zenwifi xt8 and above which do work and are quite a bit cheaper but just as capable

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Gerard_N 

According to their own blurb

• Orbi works with any internet service provider. The Orbi app makes it a breeze to set up and manage your WiFi

In fact all orbis at 850 upwards do appear to work with dhcp option 61 client identifier.  You can also check out asus zenwifi xt8 and above which do work and are quite a bit cheaper but just as capable

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
Gerard_N
Topic Author

Hi and thanks @cookiemonsteruk it seemed that way, I just couldn't find anything concrete!

Yes I am indeed also looking at the ASUS XT12 and ET12 systems - will make a decision tonight! Cheers

Gerard_N
Topic Author

I can confirm that the Orbi 970 mesh system does indeed support DHCP Option 61,  and connects directly to the ONT (no need for sky hub).

Inital impressions are good , with the wireless backhaul seeming very solid. At basement level (when connected wirelessly to the satelite (which itself is on a wireless backhaul), I am getting 930/106 with iphone 15 pro max, and 790/110 with laptop.

With the sky max plugins i was getting average 50 - 100 down

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion