Discussion topic: Broadband service check is inaccurate

This message was authored by KB88 This message was authored by: KB88

Broadband service check is inaccurate

Despite having known issues and Internet being down, the service checker claimed to be good service with 152mp/s. Through 4 independent checking services, we did not have more than 37mb/s. Can't speak to anyone as it advises me to use the checker... which is just not correct at all. Poor poor poor service , had nothing but issues with sky broadband since joining and it's almost impossible to work from home with it. Anyone had better luck with buying some decent quality hub instead if the standard issue sky one? Never had these issues with BT and we've since upgraded to fibre which ironically, we've had issues with since day 1

All Replies

This message was authored by HiHowAreYa This message was authored by: HiHowAreYa

Re: Broadband service check is inaccurate

Stop using mobile phones WiFi to do speed tests. Always use a ethernet cable connected to a computer for testing.

KB88
Topic Author

I did both, and both measured significantly lower than expected service. Mobile can measure the level of wireless connection from one device from a the router and wired measured delivery from router to devices. Both have their merit and when both are the same it is often a more conclusive review of the service provided 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@KB88 wrote:
 Anyone had better luck with buying some decent quality hub instead if the standard issue sky one? 

A third party router may help with WiFi coverage, but shouldn't make any difference to speed delivered to the address, particularly over FTTP.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by HiHowAreYa This message was authored by: HiHowAreYa

The service checker tests the speed from sky, to the sky hub. As you stated the result says 152mbs.

Your test results are on WiFi using mobile phone. Your results are 36mbs. So it's showing big drop testing using your method instead of using a cat5e or above ethernet connection to a computer.

Your results are in accurate/ false

KB88
Topic Author

I might be inclined to believe you however... all our devices are currently not working with wireless due to poor connection. Reset router, devices, the lot. Nothing. So clearly not getting 151mb/s, so in fact it is not accurate otherwise I'd be having normal function. So forgive me if the other means of testing reflects the level of service I'm getting and forces me to be sceptical of the method sky themselves have delivered.. I mean why would they lie... oh wait. 

Spoke with sky who said they only guarantee 10mb/s over wifi and only 151 is to be expected with ethernet cable only. 

This message was authored by Mark325 This message was authored by: Mark325

I have been told by sky the service they provide cannot be check by the Internet speed checkers as the service is more complex! I pay for 900mbps and get 480 to 550 on average, when I querried how much it would cost the leave early, they suggested I drop to a lesser service level but due to current pricing levels I would have to pay an extra £20 a month to drop to 500mbps.

Can you belive the crap sky are spouting, a rubbish service with honesty standards akin to the the labour government.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion