Broadband is fast...but slow?!

Boom Operator
Post 16 of 33

Re: Broadband is fast...but slow?!

And Virgin already have  the cable network in the most potentially profitable high density areas and no doubt the rights to the next set of areas to

Camera Assistant
Post 17 of 33

@daveBakes wrote:

Hi All,

we we have recently upgraded to sky Q. The broadband we had with sky previously when we had our Sky+ HD boxes was fantastic. (This was one of the only reasons we upgraded). Since having Q installed, the speed has been slow. Well I say it has been slow, if you run a speed test it shows 35mbps which is fine. But any website takes a good 10-15 seconds to loads and things like Facebook and Twitter are the same. Something isn’t right somewhere and it’s very frustrating knowing we can have a good internet connection in this house because we did before we upgraded! Any help would be appreciated Smiley Happy 

And what areas would that be? I doubt it would be here. I’m not in the middle of nowhere. But I am in a Virgin dead zone. 

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
Boom Operator
Post 18 of 33

Have you contacted Virgin to see if your area is on their list of next areas?

if it’s not then maybe it’s because it’s not thought viable, In which case unfortunately, why would Sky invest hundreds of millions for virtually no potential return in low density areas which makes little business sense to Virgin??

Boom Operator
Post 19 of 33

Try this site I believe it says if your area has plans for Virgin as well as if it’s already available 

http://www.virginmedia.com/postcode-checker/

Community Manager
Post 20 of 33

The link below has some extra information about broadband speed and throughput speeds (might be useful)

Broadband speeds explained

Mark
Community Manager

Take a look at the latest exclusive Sky customer offers
Boom Operator
Post 21 of 33

Sky Fibre Unlimited is outdoing itself tonight.

1 mb speed tops to my devices even after rebooting the router meaning Sky Q mini boxes are totally inoperable.

And Customer Services (joke) again say nothing is wrong .

July 28th can’t come quick enough 

Camera Assistant
Post 22 of 33

@LCFCfan Why dont you post your router stats if you are having issues

Boom Operator
Post 23 of 33

@jamesn123 wrote:

@LCFCfan Why dont you post your router stats if you are having issues

I HAVE, it was 1 mb to my devices all last night and that is the ONLY stat relevant to me a the Customer.

whatever the ‘stats’ page says (and it’s always fixed on a claimed router speed of 40000 kps (40mb) ) is 100% irrelevant to me as the Customer .

The only speed that is irrelevant to me is the speed to my devices and all last night that was 1 mb meaning my Sky Q mini boxes were totally inoperable..

Oracle
Post 24 of 33

@LCFCfan You have network issues in your home which need solving. Do you blame your car's manufacturer when you are in a traffic jam? Wifi problems are becoming more and more of an issue blaming Sky will solve nothing and the issue is likely to migrate to your new isp - everyone has to use the same wifi channels and signal strengths. Ethernet will limp if the devicechas not got the port set up properly.

Possible solutions

1) Move your hub higher if possible

2) check for interference from neighbour's wifi - wifi analyser app on a phone helps

3) check your own wireless kit isnt the problem Wireless speakers can and will kill wifi as can DECT phones etc etc

Search for How to improve home wifi online and find any one of hundred srticles on the subject.

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Camera Assistant
Post 25 of 33

Get an ethernet cable and plug into your computer and then check the speed. If you find that the speed is noraml, the you'll know it's the WiFi that is an issue. If that's the case, then once you've eliminated all possible external caues, call Sky as you may need a new hub. Checking the net hard wired is a standard thin to do when you are getting poor WiFi results.

Boom Operator
Post 26 of 33

Chrisee, JonW

Thanks, BUT I’m past all this, I’ve tried every solution under the sun, so after about 20 years as a Sky Broadband Customer I’m not taking this relative rubbish speed to my devices and non help from Sky Broadband Customer Service anymore and on July 28th I’m switching to Virgin and their fastest in the UK Vivid 350 362mb Fibre Broadband Service🤪 

Camera Assistant
Post 27 of 33

@LCFCfan wrote:

Chrisee, JonW

Thanks, BUT I’m past all this, I’ve tried every solution under the sun, so after about 20 years as a Sky Broadband Customer I’m not taking this relative rubbish speed to my devices and non help from Sky Broadband Customer Service anymore and on July 28th I’m switching to Virgin and their fastest in the UK Vivid 350 362mb Fibre Broadband Service🤪 

I would switch if I could. I would like to get faster Internet speed. I do think it would be in Sky's best interest to go cable and give us better Internet.

Oracle
Post 28 of 33

@JonW42 wrote:

I do think it would be in Sky's best interest to go cable and give us better Internet.

So you've said before. But the infrastructure isn't there and would require massive investment. Consider how they would fund it. It's unrealistic.

Camera Assistant
Post 29 of 33

@Mark39 wrote:

@JonW42 wrote:

I do think it would be in Sky's best interest to go cable and give us better Internet.

So you've said before. But the infrastructure isn't there and would require massive investment. Consider how they would fund it. It's unrealistic.

It has to start someplace to give us better Internet. There are lots of places that Virgin do not serve. I think Sky could take over the areas where Vigin doesn't exist. Comcast in the US wants to buy Sky and if that happens, here would be plenty of funding behind it to do this. I think Sky should have the funding now.

Oracle
Post 30 of 33

@JonW42 wrote:

. Comcast in the US wants to buy Sky and if that happens, here would be plenty of funding behind it to do this. 

What sort of investment capability does Comcast have, I wonder? And would there be a realistic business case for them to invest in fibre infrastructure in the UK?

Recommended Threads
Laconnor 19-06-2018 08:00 AM
4 weeks ago 02:50 PM
23-02-2018 11:07 PM
Broadband+issue12 09-05-2018 11:33 AM
01-06-2018 04:17 PM